SSD Guide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjb1, Nov 8, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I plan on getting my ssd around christmas when ill be out of school and wont have access to this forum or any online due to we only have dial-up where I live. I want to stick the ssd in the stock spot and put my hybrid momentus xt in the optibay. I want all apps, os x, windows xp and maybe my itunes library on the SSD...documents and other stuff including the windows documents kept on the momentus. What exactly do I need to do to accomplish this and what does moving the Home drive do?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I already found the optibay I want on ebay, going to purchase that soon. Plan on getting the 120gb Vertex 2 or if an Intel 3rd gen comes out it will be that, I have experience tearing the comp apart and other similar stuff so I will be sticking the SSD in the HDD spot because I heard of problems using bootcamp from optibay setup. But what exactly does moving the home folder do?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it moves your home folder to another location. That way all your pics, movies, downloads etc are in the HD instead of SSD and they also go to the HD when added. If you keep it in the SSD, you will easily fill it by downloading stuff since everything is downloaded to the SSD

5. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I could just install the ssd as normal, go through with installing os x and windows and everything then find the home drive on my hdd that I have untouched since moving it to the optibay and then delete what i dont want?