SSD Harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamRock, Sep 12, 2010.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

im ordering my MBP 17" i7 online and im at the hard drive step that being said, if i get a normal hdd and when i get it and put a new SSD inside do i have to re-install the os? and does the disk come with it?

basically if i put the sdd in is it plug-n-play or do i need to re-install everything and buy a fresh mac osx disc???

also anyone have a tutorial??

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, SSDs don't ship with OS X on them, so you do have to install it, but the disk does come with the computer.

3. CW Jones macrumors 6502

As far as I knew your computer should come with the install disk. When I bought my 2009 is came with the OSX disk as well. When you replace the drive you will have to re-install everything.

4. Reapur macrumors regular

Skip the SSD from Apple, buy it third party. They are faster and cost less then the Apple provided drives. your computer includes OSX and iLife disks all you need to do is install the new SSD boot off the OSX dvd and then install away.

In all honesty i would refrain from buying SSD at this time unless you ABSOLUTELY need SSD. Save the money for when SSD comes in higher capacities for the same money.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I do have to agree with this. I think they are way overpriced for the benefit at this point, as well as undersized. Plus OS X doesn't support TRIM yet, so it may slow down a bit over time

6. ae3265 macrumors member

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone OS X from the HDD to the SSD.

I usually keep a a spare SATA enclosure for that kind of thing, seems to work well enough over USB and Firewire.

7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I agree with it being a bit overpriced, but the benefits are immense and can't be shown with simple benchmarks. The performance/speed improvements never made me regret my purchase. The 22nm shift from Intel in Q4 2010 is going to drastically bring down prices.

8. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I replaced my HD and used Carbon Copy to copy ALL of the data. I use a $10, USB - SATA adapter. It only took an hour or 2. It was very easy.

9. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

so i should just stick with 500gb 7200rpm?

i was also told that SDDs degrade over 10,000 uses and it gets slower and slower is that true??

oh and i know apple just realesed updates to all there products but do you think the next version MBP will be faster? and when do u think it'll be out?

10. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

huh? on the apple site there is an option for SDD...

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is cheaper to get an SSD from another vendor like NewEgg or MacSales.

And you still have the original HDD to use for backups via Time Machine.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

12. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i checked newegg and ebay and couldnt find a cheap 500GB SSD so i might just got with the 7200rpm and deal with the lack of speed,

but while your here do you tink i should get the
    17" i7
    or 15 i5???

im going to be useing Final Cut Pro, garabage band, Photoshop, possibly at the same time, keep in mind that i have a quad core comp so it wont replace it, i;ll only be useing the laptop for mac-only software or if im in bed and too lazy to get up :)

13. Reapur macrumors regular

I would say if you have the money get the 17" i7, simply for the screen resolution. 512GB SSDs are wayyyy too pricey right now to warent buying one unless your job depends on the speed of an SSD.

To clarify, if you change the storage options of your mac when ordering it online, Apple will obviously install the OS on the computer you buy so when you take it out of the box it will be ready to use after the initial setup process (creating your user profile etc). That said you will also get the OS and iLife on DVDs included in the box so if you need to format or replace your HDD you can just re-install on your own.

14. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It wil ltake roughly 30 minutes to install OSX to a brand new drives and another 10 to install it in your laptop. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Your new mac will come with an installation DVD.

15. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh ok thanks guys i decided to stick with the 17" i7 500gb normal HDD.

thanks for your help.

16. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Since OS X doesn't support TRIM it may degrade over a period time if there is tons of Data written on to it but you regain full performace if you do a secure erase from time to time which as i just found out is really easy

17. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Apple's 2010 SSDs aren't very fast, but they do not slow down under heavy use.

Source: http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld-BeforeAfter-AppleToshiba512.html

18. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh i forgot to mention, does antiglare actually work? like theres a massive window behind my bed and i dont want reflections and stuff so would it make it more clear?

and is there a way to somehow remove the silver bevel from antiglare?

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Antiglare means that the extremely reflective glass and glossy LCD display are taken out, and replaced with a matte LCD display without a protective layer of glass. The black bezel is part of the glass, so no, you cannot take off the silver bezel.

20. Reapur macrumors regular

The AG screen option is a definite must. I am a photographer so I depend on the AG screen to give me accurate colour representation. The glass screen is definitely consumer bling factor that makes the computer look great sitting there. But using the computer with that glass display being used in anything but a dark room is a major pain.

The silver bezel does not look as fancy but matches the entire computer as a whole better.

21. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh so if i was to put like a skin on it or a case would it cover the bevel?

22. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most probably not, as that would prevent the proper closing of the lid. I have the 17" MBO with AG screen and it looks gorgeous, in my humble opinion.

23. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Buy one with glossy, send it to TechRestore. They install a matte screen with a black bezel, for 199$.

http://www.techrestore.com/mac/mbp-unibody-repair.shtml
    Scroll down to "Macbook and MacBook Pro LCD Screen & Glass Replacement + Matte Finish Screen Services"

24. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

i also agree! i upgraded my HD but i opted for a WD scorpio black with 500gb @ 7200 rpm and runs great. get w.e standard HD from apple then order a new one from newegg.com or where ever its cheaper and HD is easy to install

25. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

it says 249$ and on the glass it wont say "mbp" on it so thats kind of a rip off and lame.

i guess the bevel isnt that noticeable.