SSD + HD 2011 iMac convert to double SSD - options ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ben2e, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ben2e macrumors member

I have a successful 2011 iMac with a 256G SSD boot drive and a 3TB Hard Drive. The HDD spinning up on wake drives me nuts and 1TB SSD's are in the $400 range so I'd like to just ditch the Hard Drive. My SSD sits behind the optical drive right now. It's been a few years now and I had a local mac shop do the work (in my own attempt,I broke a small part on the MB). The shop used a separate sensor part to solve the fan spin issue.

I'd like to not remove the motherboard if possible. I can deal with 1 big SSD or preferably 2 SSD's. What are my options ? If I replace the existing HDD with an SSD, do I need to replace the sata cable and to pull the MB (as well as kludge a sensor) ? Alternatively, can I just pull the HDD altogether and replace my 256gB with a 1TB SSD ?

2. ben2e thread starter macrumors member

Anyone ? Maybe I'm better off upgrading the SSD

I also wonder if I just unplug the hard drive if I'll still have fan issues.

3. ben2e thread starter macrumors member

4. mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

iMac 2011 + dual SSD

You don't have to remove the motherboard, just follow this guide from iFixit. Also you can just use the cable from SATA0 or SATA1 directly to your SSDs but your HDD fan will rev up insanely to 5k rpm.

To solve this, just use HDD Fan Control.

That OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor WILL NOT work on SSD drives. Trust me. I have bought it.

5. ben2e thread starter macrumors member

OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor doesn't work

By "will not work" do you mean doesn't physically fit into the SSD connector or the temperature sensor doesn't properly function ?

Did OWC help any with the part not working ? It's not a cheap connector.

6. mhafeez macrumors regular

mhafeez

OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor WILL NOT work on SSD drives

The cable only works on normal hard drives. It does not recognise SSD drives as I have test it on both of my SSDs and the only thing I get is the white screen of death.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      159.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      110.9 KB
      Views: