SSD/HD in optibay: how do you choose which drive to boot from?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yourfriendjames, Aug 2, 2010.

1. yourfriendjames macrumors newbie

I just did the whole SSD/optibay upgrade, and now i have a question about booting from the SSD.

I used CCC to clone my HD to the new SSD. After it was cloned, I installed the drives into my macbook pro, placing the SSD in the original HD bay, and the old HD into the optibay. When i turned on my computer, i think my laptop was still booting from the old HD. How do i set things so that i boot from the new SSD? I plan to use the old HD for music/movies/documents. I tried a search but didn't come across anything. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Click on the :apple:—>System Preferences—>Startup Disk.

Then choose the SSD and select restart.

If you can't seem to figure out which is the SSD and which isn't, I would open up Disk Utility (that's in Applications—>Utilities—>Disk Utility) and then rename your old drive. Then open up Startup Disk again and choose the new drive.

3. yourfriendjames thread starter macrumors newbie

4. yourfriendjames thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, i have another question...

I want to set my Users folder on my boot drive and keep my music/movies on my 2nd drive. I moved my whole itunes folder to the 2nd drive, went into itunes to change the location, but when i open itunes, it doesnt have any music in the library. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix it? If you have a better method of accomplishing what i am trying to do, would you mind sharing it? Thanks!

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

When you launch iTunes, hold the option key when double clicking its icon. It'll prompt you to locate the library and you can point it to the secondary drive and it'll all pop back up in iTunes.

6. yourfriendjames thread starter macrumors newbie