Ssd & hd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, May 7, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Considering replacing my 500Gig with either 40 or 80 Gig SSD. (Probably, 40 as i use just over 30)

Thinking about getting SSD for internal use, and user massive 750Gig for external drive. So, in preparation for this, I have a few questions:

1. WHich brand to buy? Which is the best of the bunch? eg .. Cosair, or other

2. Would you guys recommend keeping Home folder on SSD or moving this over to bigger drive (if this can even be done) after installing SL.

Be using my i7 for games, video editing, dvd stuff. and general web email.

All my data would be saved to external while keeping SSD for boot drive only.

Now for external drive, should i stick with one large partition, or divide it in two. ?

Thanks for the help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you thought about replacing the SuperDrive with a hard drive? In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to buy a laptop if you are forced to have a external connected to it 24/7. If it is used as a desktop, then it can work but I would still prefer an internal drive.

If you want a cheap, yet reliable drive, take a look at Intel's 320 series. Not as fast as SATA 6Gb/s SSDs but noticeably cheaper and trouble-free.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

superdrive

Nope... not thought about it, because it would be one extra thing to carry around with me when i need to read dvd media.

I can why why people would replace it though.

Plus, my i7 is still under warranty, just bought it beginning of the year.

4. dav macrumors 6502

One extra thing to carry around with you when you need to read DVD media versus one extra thing to carry around all the time

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

drive

Maybe,,,, but i still repeat. My Mac is under warranty.

So you guys recommend opening up your Mac and voiding your warranty ? Or would apple replace the super drive with ssd...... never tried that before.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to buy a laptop if you are forced to have a external connected to it 24/7. If it is used as a desktop, then it can work but I would still prefer an internal drive.

I agree. I recently picked up a 750GB WD Scorpio black and loaded it up to about 500Gb so rarely need to hook up to my external drive. I couldn't be happier. Speed is just fine and storage is fantastic. Plus, my warranty is still in tack