SSD + HDD Boot Camp Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcorey10, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lilcorey10 macrumors member

I want to install a 128GB SSD in my MacBook Pro 13" and replace the SuperDrive with the standard 500GB HDD using an adapter.
    I also want to dedicate the whole SSD to OS X Lion and use part of the 500GB HDD for music, documents, movies, etc.

My question is can I use boot camp and just partition part of the 500GB drive for Windows or do I have to do it on the drive with OS X Lion installed on it?

I've seen tuts. on youtube and guides on other sites, and every time they partition their drive for Windows, only one drive is there. I don't know if they just have one drive installed or you can only do it on the drive with OS X.

NOTE: I don't want to use the entire 2nd drive just for Windows. I need some of the space on it because the 128GB drive just isn't enough.

Thanks

2. Jimbogiant macrumors member

I did exactly what you are describing with a 13" MBP. Install Windows via Boot Camp while the HDD is in its normal slot- then when you put the HDD into the ODD slot, the Windows partition will still boot by holding Alt at bootup. You can delete/repurpose the OS X installation for media and files with no problem. My end product was as follows: 64GB SSD in the factory hard drive slot with my OS X installation - 500GB HDD in the optical bay slot with one partition dedicated to my OS X home folder, and another partition for Windows. Hope this helps!

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You can but I wouldn't.
    Slip the SSD into a small NTFS partition (30GB) and a big(what is legt) HFS+. What is the point of having an SSD if you have to endure the slow bootup from the HDD for Windows. Especially with VM launches the SSD makes a worlds difference.
    Normal boot much time is wasted with the UEFI taking time with the "Option" power up mode.

If you still want to just use DiskUtility and not bootcamp. That one is just a rather stupid an limited little tool for fools with a single button to press. It is supposed to be simple above all. All you need is an NTFS parition and a bootable Windows disc/flashdrive.

Just open DiskUtility and parition the drives anyway you want. I recommend exFAT for the data partition where you mean to store videos, music and pictures. Alternatively you can use HFS+ if you only rarely access it from Windows. Windows cannot write to HFS natively but only through second hand drivers.
    Both OSX and Windows do well with exFAT natively.

Exclude the NTFS partition if it is on the HDD from Spotlight. Or unmount it whenever you don't need it.