SSD + HDD Configuration (Time Machine, Windows 8, Mountain Lion*2)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave Monarca, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dave Monarca macrumors newbie

I ask sorry for my english in advance.

I have a macbook pro late 2008 and i want to revitalize it with a 256gb Ssd from samsung 830. The actual HD 500gb will be put in the optibay, removing the superdrive.
    I want to know if the following configuration may work:
    -SSD 256 GB Mountain lion + apps & File

-HD (1° Partition) Clean m. lion installation [Recovering installation]
    (2° Partition) Bootcamp Windows 8
    (3° Partition) Time machine of the SSD

Then i want to use the Bootcamp Partition in parrallels from the SSD. A definitively configuration! Or is impossible to do something like this (I try with an external hd and while M lion clean and time machine were fine, bootcamp windows 8 had some problems with parallels )

2. Dave Monarca thread starter macrumors newbie

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Running parallels with the APP on the SSD but the OS on the HDD will not make it run any faster.

AFAIK, you will have trouble installing windows 8 on the HDD without having the optical drive in.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Honestly I think it is stupid to put bootcamp on the HDD. You will either often launch it in parallels or reboot into it. Not really anywhere you get as much noticeable difference than from having that stuff on the SSD.

Put Musik and Movies on the HDD but let the bootcamp partition on the SSD. Anything else is ridiculous unless you need Windows only every other month.

I also think it makes more sense to put a clone partition as backup on the hdd. A timemachine backup should be external. What if the notebook gets stolen or suffers some really devastating accident?
    A clean install isn't needed. All that this would be good for can be done in the recovery partition.

Most importantly though don't put bootcamp on the HDD.
    I am not sure what you are trying to ask here. At least use proper punctuation (?, !, ;, .). That is the same in any language and might help deciphering what you are trying to say.
    Bootcamp partitions can be used in parallels and it isn't rocket science. One just has to tell parallels to use the bootcamp partition. It asks anyway and does anything on its own.

5. Dave Monarca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have already install in the past w8 with an external flash drive.

Thanks for the advice. I know that bootcamp work on parallels ;), i want to know if an hdd bootcamp work under the parallels on the ssd partition.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Parallels doesn't care where the partition is. Only the OS knows the difference between disks. Programs always work on the partition level, they only run into problems with external disks. A partition is a partition doesn't matter on what disk.