SSD + HDD for Macbook Pro 4,1 A1260

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrogers85, Mar 15, 2012.

1. nrogers85 macrumors newbie

Hello folks.

As many of you have combinations of SSD + HDD in your Macbook Pros I'd like to ask a couple of questions. I've done considerable research but have a few lingering questions.

First off, to give you an overview of my system, it is the 2008 A1260 model Macbook Pro. I currently have an Intel 7200 rpm 320gb drive as the sole drive in the machine. I replaced the stock 5400rpm Hitachi about a year ago. I am currently running 10.6.8 (not quite ready to jump to Lion as I'm mainly an audio guy and a lot of the plugins I use haven't quite caught up). I have maxed out the RAM at 6GB.

I removed the Superdrive out of it about 6 months ago as it was dead anyway and the noise was starting to get to me. I was replacing a noisy fan at the time so it wasn't a big deal.

After researching the SSD + HDD combo possibility, this seems like a possible option for me. As the optibay compatible with my system uses a PATA connector instead of a SATA connector, is it reasonable to assume that I will see no noticeable difference in speed if I choose to get a SATA II vs. a SATA III compliant SSD?

I know there are varying schools of thought on this, but my intent was to leave the stock hard drive in the main bay to utilize the SMS and the shock protection, with the SSD in the optibay as my boot drive. Does this seem like a reasonable setup or is it spending a lot of money for not that much of an improvement?

I do have another mechanical HDD, so the other option for me would be to forego the SSD and just put a second HDD in the optibay.

The other option would be to go with one of the Momentus XT drives. I understand that their speed cannot be compared to SSD, but if my MBP does not support that speed anyway, would I be better off going to one of the XT drives, thereby increasing my storage capacity, yet still having a small amount of NAND?

I'm not really overly concerned with boot times, as my MBP stays on almost constantly, sleeping when I'm not using it. I mainly use the system for Pro Tools recording. I do run a Windows 7 VM through Parallels in the rare occasion I want to play a game or something. If going with an SSD, should I make sure I get one big enough to fit the VM on the boot drive or will I notice any difference at all with it being on the mechanical? Given these factors, what would you recommend for the ultimate solution to my dilemma?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regards,
    Nick

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

3. nrogers85 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, actually the caddy that I bought that replaces the optical drive accepts only SATA compliant drives, but has a standard PATA port for connection to the motherboard.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Oh, that's nice, for future-proofing/compatibility. I recall reading some reports that the OS must be installed on the SSD while it's in the original HDD bay (and then it can be moved to the optical drive bay). Not sure if this holds true for pre-Unibody MBPs, but it's something to consider.

I'd go for SSD, 64-120 GB, as the system drive (OS, applications, etc.), and then use a gigantic drive as your user drive.

5. msianshuttler macrumors newbie

Hi nrogers85,
    I have a MacBook Pro 4,1 as well and I'd like remove the optical drive to make more storage room. I was wondering if you could tell me where you found the hardware to remove your optical drive.

OWC (Other World Computing) had a product called Data Doubler but they are all for the Unibody models.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

6. nobuken macrumors newbie

I am also looking to upgrade an early 2008 Macbook Pro with an SSD + HDD. OP what hardware did you select? I would like to know if it is worth it to upgrade to an SSD considering our laptops SATA I main drive area and PATA port optibay.