SSD/HDD formatting choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loyrun, Jan 30, 2010.

1. loyrun macrumors newbie

Hi!, finally registered as I have some questions about hard drive formatting...

My plan is to make the jump into a new 13" MBP sometime in the next couple weeks.

Here is my current plan.. 3 hard drives

• 128GB SSD divided even using bootcamp, pretty straight foward.
    • 500GB "optibay" type drive
    • 500GB external passport for media.

I currently use the WD HD media player which supports HFS+, and a PS3, which does not...

How I plan to format drives:
    • 128GB 50/50 HFS+ and NTFS for osx/windows I use windows alot for CAD/work programs so i figure an even split is best especially with the extra drive
    • 500GB internal... all HFS+, using Macdrive I can access from osx and win7
    • 500GB external passport for media... 3 partitions,
      • 250GB HFS+ (for files larger than 4GB, use with WD HD TV)
      • 80GB FAT32 (to be able to use with ps3)
      • remaining 150GB split into 2 partitions HFS/NTFS and image each system seperate? use to image the full SSD for backup

So here's the question, doe what I'm trying to do seem like it will work?
    also what format would you make everything?
    especially the remaining part that I plan to use for creating an image of the SSD?
    is it possible to back up the entire SSD at one time or would I need to do each partition using some type of program? if so, what program do you reccomend?

Any help/advice is appreciated. I can't wait to make the switch!

2. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

I would recommend that you look into how to use vLite to "slim" down your Windows 7 installation even further for your Boot Camp partition. I was able to get the installation down to under 7 GB - and if you can even get away with more if you want to be more aggressive with what you get rid of.

It's very easy to get rid of some common things and if you do a bit of Google searching, you can come across some very straightforward ways to slim it down.