SSD + Hdd Have i done right?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kaelbron, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kaelbron macrumors member

I have an iMac that I've fixed SSD and still have the hard drive on it with. What I understand is that buying an iMac from Apple today with SSD + HDD then put them into it so you have OS X and the applications only on SSD and such everything else on your hard drive, right?

Then I wonder if someone can write so I get it confirmed what I should do to get the setting on an iMac ordered from Apple. Someone who has an experience out of this?

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I do not have experience with this, but you are correct. Having OS X and the applications all installed on the SSD is a smart move. You'll get the fastest speeds that way. Use the HDD for all of your personal files, music, photos, movies, etc.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

On my iMac I have all my applications on the SSD and put all the Users files on the HD. I moved the /Users folder from the SSD to the HD.

4. Kaelbron thread starter macrumors member

How do I this in a stable manner as possible?

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

1) Copy the user home directory to the HDD from the SSD.
    2) Under System Preferences > User Accounts point the user's home directory to the new location.
    3) Restart.
    4) Navigate to the new home directory to confirm there is now a house icon.

*Sorry for the lack of accuracy. I'm not in front of OSX at the moment.

6. Dcr2k macrumors newbie

7. adarkenigma macrumors newbie

@ Dcr2k lol...

@ Kaelbron

i recommend clean install. it is also possible to move home directory to different location, but some application may insist home directory be under users directory. Taz Mangus approach is good but doing so is dangerous. i take no responsibility if something goes wrong with your system. use it at your own risk. first answer few question and proceed further.

do you show hardisk(s) on your desktop?
    are you okay with having additional "Users" hd icon on your desktop?
    are okay with your system logs being full? (4000 console messages very quickly)

if "yes" then follow little guide below read it once completely and see how process works before implementing it directly.

so here it goes

when your installing your system, install OS X on SSD drive. format HDD and name it "Users". let install finish and on very first restart hold down shift key to boot into safe boot (safe boot prevent creation of dyld cache). create admin user in safe boot and enable root user via "Directory Utilty" located at /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility. log out and log into root user, fire up "Terminal" and move User directory with following command
    Code:
    mv /Users /UsersOld
    now create new "Users" directory and give proper (super) permissions to it by entering following commands one line at a time in "Terminal"
    Code:
    mkdir /Users
    Code:
    chown root:admin /Users
    Code:
    chmod 755 /Users
    now open "Disk Utility" and get UUID of "Users" partition (press command + I)
    note down UUID.. and unmount "Users" partition. leave "Disk Utility" Open and type following in "Terminal" one line at time

Create & backup "fstab"
    Code:
    touch /etc/fstab && cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bkp
    Now time to edit "fstab" in textedit
    Code:
    open -a TextEdit /etc/fstab
    New blank textedit window will pop up, in that insert following
    where $ = UUID that you noted down earlier for "Disk Utilty"
    save filer and quit textedit.
    back to "Disk Utility" and mount "Users" partition also enable ownership with following command in "Terminal" though not necessary.
    Code:
    diskutil enableOwnership /Users
    now move your users to new location with following in "Terminal"
    Code:
    mv /UsersOld/* /UsersOld/.[^.]* /Users/
    copies with all resources.

finally delete old "Users" directory with following in "Terminal"
    Code:
    rmdir /UsersOld
    reboot and verify that it had mounted properly. apply any combo and system updates and enjoy :)

hope this helps

Note: you can rename "User" partition to whatever you want but only do it after moving users to new partition. also enable "noatime" for SSD.

8. ssdaytona macrumors member

^ seems very complicated. no?

why do I have to go through all that? can I just move the "home" folder via the system preferences pane?

Also, when I added the SSD to get a SSD+HDD system on my iMac, the HDD became a secondary internal HD. However, it seems that I cannot even create a folder on the HDD without entering my root password. Why is this the case?

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

+1 That's what the advanced setting in the users pref pane is for, so you don't have to do all that stuff.

Root or admin password? Just to clarify.

Likely it's a permissions issue, you should see what your permissions for the drive as a whole are.