SSD+HDD in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yyc engineer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. yyc engineer macrumors newbie

I know, I know...there are lots of threads discussing what's going to be in the next MBP, and no one knows for sure until they are released...but I personally don't care about USB 3, blu-ray, light-peak, no ODD, 48 hour battery life, artificial intelligence, etc. etc...

One feature that I think needs to be incorporated in the next revision is SSD. Given the type of storage "Pro" users demand and the current market price of SSD's, it's not practical to put in 512 or even 256 GB SSD and stay at the current price point, but what about an SSD + HDD combo?

I know there is not a lot of room on the motherboard but if Apple goes with something like the soldered on SSD (like MBA) and keeps the HDD this could be the best of both worlds.

You could use the SSD just for OSX and commonly used apps and use the HDD for movies, music, photos etc. 64 or even 32 GB SSD would be enough.

Going SSD+HDD would give the MBP the speed & other benefits of SSD plus the cheap storage of a traditional HDD.

The only possible challenge I see with this is that the user would have to manually choose which drive to save files to...but, given everything else 'magical' they have come up with recently, I'm sure Apple could figure out a way for OSX to treat the two drives as one "invisibly" which would mean the end user wouldn't even notice a difference. Or they could have a manual and automatic mode...heck they could easily build this into a possible new version of OSX...which conveniently is also coming out later this year...

any thoughts?

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

Flash instead of SSD. Saves space inside so they won't need to get rid of the optical drive.

3. pedrofan macrumors 6502

1.- Macbook AIR's SSD isn't soldered to the motherboard. It is an interchangeable blade type card that is swithced into a special sata II port. What is soldered to the motherboard is the RAM.

2.- Putting a blade type SSD + an HDD is a perfect combination and that philosophy is used in current iMacs so it is likely to be used in macbook pros. For example 128gb ssd + 500gb 5400rpm HDD

3.- If they are going to do that, why not to solder the ssd chips to the logic board an put each flash chip in raid with the others through independent channels??? For example 128gb = 32gb x 4 in raid 0. You can blow up hdd lags of our memory forever!!!! Instant computing!!!!! Or putting two blade type cards of half size each connected to two sata ports instead of one to put them in raid. Same size - double speed. Iknow that putting two hdds in a laptop was traduced in a lot of room with magnetic HDDs but flash chips are so small, you can make extremely fast raids without using so much phisical space in the laptop.

¿¿What do you think?? It doesn't sound so crazy!!