SSD + HDD installed, what do I do next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by otipep5, Aug 6, 2012.

1. otipep5 macrumors newbie

Hey

I basically followed all the steps and now got this in my MBP 2012 13'':

SSD new OWC in the main bay with no OS
    HDD in Optical Drive with OS X Mountain Lion installed

When I then launched the MBP after setting this up, I got the magic question mark folder.

Being on a mac for a few years, I tried the good old 'HOLD C' on startup so you can select startup disk but without success.

Am I right to say i shd theoretically be able to boot from the HDD OSX to initialize the SSD and the do all the software stuff?

if so: how shall I do so?

Cheers

Ruben

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

If you have a lion or ML thumb drive (or dvd), try booting from there. You can then use disk utility to see if both drives are recognized. It's a simple test, but might give you a clue what's wrong.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wait, what are you trying to do exactly? Install the OS on the SSD (that's where it should be)? If so, don't you have an OS install disk?

4. otipep5 thread starter macrumors newbie

So: it's a brand new MBP so it came with Mountain Lion installed already on the HDD.

The SSD has no OS so now when I start up the laptop having just done the data doubling, i get the question mark folder.

I don t have any Mountain Lion DVD or anything since it came pre-installed and from what I read, I just need to re-install it from the download bit once I manage to startup the computer.

So: I just need to get passed the question mark through the HDD with OS X to initialise the SSD and then install the OS on it.

HOW? :)

Cheers

5. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Just by pressing Option when booting it should show the Recovery partition. You should be able to load that if the disks are recognized. If not, I suggest switch positions of your SSD and HDD.

6. otipep5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ivoruest, that was indeed the trick!! :)

Now I ve got another problem:

I ve installed OS X mountain lion on the SSD, the HDD wasn't formatted and is now in the optical bay properly connected but the MBP cannot detect it.

Does anyone one know how to diagnose the problem and hence find a solution to letting the HDD appear in Disk Utility or in Startup Disk? It can't find it as far as I can see...

Cheers

Ruben

7. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If the HDD does not show up in disk utils, it is probably not connected properly. Open it up and double and triple check all connections.