SSD/HDD Music and Photo Access

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Jan 11, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I finally worked up the courage to open up my MBP and install the damn thing. I removed my HDD after I copied all my important files and put the SSD in. I installed the original OS then upgraded to Lion. It's pretty much up to date now. Since I changed my mind last minute when I purchased it and went to 256, I have a lot more space than I had originally planned.

Right now, my SSD drive is basically just a "standard" MBP with none of my stuff on it. I was thinking of copying over my document, downloads and desktop folders onto it. And then I re-install all of my apps, which is great since I had a lot of apps that installed just for fun that I no longer used. I'm also thinking of just formatting the 500GB HDD I have that will contain my Music and Photos. I will then transfer back the backup I have onto the drive. For some reason, I don't think deleting everything on the drive would equate to a format and putting new data on. I could be wrong though.

My question is, if I do put just my music and photo folder in a formatted HDD, would I be able to redirect iTunes and iPhoto/Aperture to this HDD? Does the HDD need to have some sort of OS?

Sorry, this is all new to me. I'm inexperienced when it comes to mac hardware.

2. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

The HD just needs to be formatted. No OS necessary.