SSD+HDD.... Need Help QuicK..........Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dextor143, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

I am going to replace my optical bay with the HDD and install SSD on the regular HD. My macbook pro is late 2006 and has 2.33 GHZ with ATA optical bay therefore I ordered PATA to SATA converter caddy to install HDD. I also bought a 120 GB crucial SSD.

My current HDD has two partition, one is data and the other is OSX and apps

Here are my questions,

1. Once I will complete the installation and run the machine, will my computer automatically detect OS on the HDD (installed at optical bay)? caz the SSD is brand new. If not, how can I get this done? Should I create a bootable USB? What size of USB will I need to do this?

2. Once I am on the main screen, can I just simply go to disk utility and format my SSD and later copy the OSX portion from HDD to SSD? once it is done, can I simply delete the partition of OSX from my HDD?

3. I am really nervous but also excited at the same time. I am going to post pictures and write my experience in Macrumors so that others can benefit from it.

So if you can please help me quick, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

SR

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

1 yes it doesn't matter where it is installed. The UEFI will find it if there is a bootable partition somewhere.
    Nothing else needed.
    2. yes but not after you option restart of the ssd partition
    3. Go for it.

Don't do it the way you have in mind. Put the SSD into the optibay. There is better mounting, less noise and sms in the mainbay for the HDD.
    Only on 2011 MBPs with the SATA 6GB/s issue it is reasonable to put the ssd into the main bay not on a 2006 machine.

I hope you bought the cheapest SSD you could find. PATA will limit sequential speeds anyway to about hdd levels.

3. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your answer. But I am not installing SSD in the optical bay. I have heard its better to put SSD in regular HDD section and HDD to optical bay.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As I said it is on 2011 MacBook Pro. Not on anything 2010 and older.

And you wrote you have a late 2006 MBP which is clearly older than 2011 and definitely doesn't offer SATA 6G in the main bay.

5. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

how about this guide?
    http://philikon.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/two-hard-drives-in-a-macbook-pro/

This person did the exact same thing and have different experience than what you are stating. Any how, I really appreciate for your help so please do not take it offensive