SSD+HDD on iMac i5 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cesn15, Aug 25, 2011.

1. cesn15 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I have been searching for an answer to the following. I have the base iMac 2011 i5 2.5ghz. I would like to know if it is possible to add an SSD while keeping the current 500gb hdd. If it isn't possible then is a thunderbolt enclosure (which haven't surfaced yet) my only solution?:confused:

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I'm assuming that you're asking this question since you didn't get the iMac configured at the beginning with the ssd+hdd.

I think you can add the ssd yourself but the space to add it in the computer is pretty tight and somewhat difficult to do on your own.

3. cesn15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, the iMac is not a BTO. I have and intel SSD laying around, so I would like to add it. But I don't want to work on the iMac before knowing for sure what can be done

4. whodareswins macrumors regular

I'd like to know how to do this as well. What parts are needed and how to mount it etc.

Also, how would you make the SSD the primary/boot drive?

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Essentially all you would need is the SATA Cable, SATA Power Cable and the SSD Bracket Mount

You may be able to get your local AASP to order them for you at a cheaper rate, otherwise you can search eBay for these product numbers:

SSD Brackets 076-1383
    Cable, SSD Data 922-9861
    Cable, SSD Power 922-9862

To go through the process, check out the Apple Service Manual:
    http://tinyurl.com/4yq5t9p

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Go to ifixit.com...I'm sure there's a manual for it. But OP, it's much more effort to do this add-on (though not impossible).

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

:rolleyes: lol c'mon all the information is right there in that last post.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

No harm in another source.