SSD + HDD + Optical Drive in iMac 21.5" Mid 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flabriko, Oct 8, 2013.

1. flabriko macrumors newbie

Hello! Can anyone give an answer, is there a way, to install SSD-Drive in addition to my default HDD-Drive, without removing an Optical Drive? (iMac 21.5" Mid 2011).
    I can find only hdd-replacement or optical drive replacement tutors. I'm understand, that 21.5" iMacs haven't enough place to simply add 2.5" SSD, but, maybe I can definitely use SSD without body, like SSD-Drive that installed in MacBooks?

Attached Files:

2. Richdmoore, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I believe owc has turnkey and self install options to add another ssd drive, while keeping the optical. They have a video of the process on the web site.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM21SSD11/

Edit: Looking at the video, they are adding a 2.5 ssd drive while keeping the optical drive, should be enough room. Of course, I think the install looks advanced enough I would seriously consider the turnkey program they offer.

3. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I swapped out the HD for an SSD on my 21.5" 2010 iMac; it's a bit easier because you don't have to remove the logic board. That said, it doesn't look that much harder; just more steps.

The key to doing this, as with any computer repair/mod, is to just take your time and be thorough. If you're cheap like me, like to tinker, and have the patience to do it, it'll save you some money and you get the satisfaction of a job well done (assuming you do it right of course).

In addition to OWC, check out iFixit for great tutorials. Here's the one that applies to you (except you'll be adding an SSD instead of another HD):

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/6434/1