SSD + HDD, requirements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RolandVet, May 25, 2011.

1. RolandVet macrumors member

Hi

I'm considering buying a 13" MBP. Now I want to remove the stock HDD and replace it with a Vertex 2 60GB. Now 60GB isn't much so I need some extra space. Now I wanted to replace the optical-bay with the stock HDD. What materials do I need to do this operation?

Thanks,

2. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

3. ApplePu macrumors regular

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

5. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

That looks exactly the same thing as the 9,99€ ones you can order from e-bay, plus an external enclosure for the superdrive.

I bought a similar on on ebay, it did work, but then I had to spend the extra €€ on a real MCE optibay, because the 7200 rpm hdd vibrated and was just too noisy on that thing, plus disk sleep wouldn't work properly - it slept and waked the next second, seriously impairing battery life.

Now with a real optibay, I can barely hear the disk spinning and sleep works as it should.

There are online stores in europe that sell MCE optibay, too.

http://shop.zapware.de/Home

6. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

cool that it comes with an external enclosure for the superdrive if you want one!

I don't know why you're using a 7200rpm drive anyways though, it's not going to be faster for your media files so unless you already have one laying around you might as well save money by buying a 5400rpm drive... my .02

8. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

Because it was my primary hdd before I went the SSD+HDD route.

Anyway, if you check, the WD 750 Gb Scorpio Black has the same power requirements or below many 5400 rpm drives...

9. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

I do live in Europe and am now considering the www.hardwrk.com solution as it also provides the tools plus a external optibay. Now rev.b, you seem to be criticizing this solution, could you provide me links to the ebay equivalents so I can determine the similarity?

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

that's why i said:

;)

11. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]

Is it possible to DIY without a kit, seen as they are quite pricy?

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

actually i was just trying to save you money on not spending that much on a kit, but since i'm "derailing" your thread, figure it out yourself.... there are only 500 threads on it, even a specific DIY one if you'd search. :rolleyes:

13. ApplePu macrumors regular

I've got this kit and it is working as it should. no issues at all! additionally it has been tested by several german magazines and only got good reviews. the brains behind this solution are the guys from the t3n magazine (t3n.de) and they know what they are doing. they will give you after buy support if you encounter problems too.

I've used both, the hardwrk and the optibay kit. Optibay is probably a bit more solid as you can screw the drive to the adapter but after all, the hardwrk system works perfectly fine and is a good deal for the package you'll get.

14. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

Of course. This was the one I bought first: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2nd-HDD-caddy...es_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item3f0939b3ea

Now they look VERY similar to me...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said, the 12 GBP one worked for me (and there were cheaper ones), but, as I said, too much noise and vibration, poor retention mechanism, disk sleep didn't work properly.

So you may actually get what you pay for. For 79€, I would definitely buy a MCE for a little more. I actually bough mine from ebay.de for 89€.