SSD + HDD sleep time mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neo4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Neo4 macrumors member

Hi,

I've just installed an ssd on the place of the dvd drive. I've done a fresh install of the Lion, and then imported settings from the original hdd.

everything is ok, but now when I close my lid to sleep the mac, it now takes more than 1 minute to sleep, longer than when I only had an hdd.

what can it be?

thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What SSD do you have?
    Unless you have a SSD with slow write speeds I am not sure what could be the cause.
    I know how to work around it though.

I set would set the hibernatemode to 0. That enables you mac to go to standby almost instantly. Takes only a couple seconds.

Default is 3 which is first writes a hibernateimage to the hdd and next enters standby. If the battery runs out it can resume from the hdd image and otherwise behaves the same as mode 0.
    It is a waste of time and watts if your mbp never runs out of battery life. Mine is back home and on the plug long before it runs out and I never leave it just lying around unplugged for days.
    mode 3 is the safe version but 0 is much more convenient.

On 3 if you close it and 3 seconds later decide you forgot something. It has to complete the process and it takes a while. With mode 3 that is no problem.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and you probably need a restart for it to take effect.

3. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

mine is a verbatim black edition 128GB.

even if it is not the best performing ssd it should at least be equal as an hdd, when I was using only the hdd it only take less than 30s =/

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just looked it up it seems to be on par with the fast SATA 2 drives. More than enough speed to beat the crap out of an HDD.
    Could be anything. A clean install might solve the problem.
    Just set hibernationmode to 0 everything else is ridiculously annoying anyway for the little potential benefit it gets you. If you really forget it someday and the battery dies so what. As long as you saved your documents before you closed it no harm done. You just have to restart. With an SSD a restart is hardly any slower than reading in a hibernationimage on a 4GB+ RAM Notebook.
    It makes sense that 3 is the default setting but for most people it is the worse setting.

5. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

I am now just cleaning my original hdd from all the apps/settings etc that it had from being the boot hdd before the ssd. (I can't format it because it have my downloads folder wich is too big to put it on the ssd to format the entire hdd) I am doing this using the terminal and after that I will clean the unused space with disk utility and see if this helps.

about the hibernation to 0, I don't want to do that, i've run out of battery several times with unsaved work.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It just requires hitting cmd+s before you close the lid. :confused: If you are currently working on it and ignore the warning of low battery too long and it runs out of juice without you saving stuff, well the result would be no different regardless of the hibernation mode.

I doubt what you do will help much. Good luck though.
    Are you sure it does take longer? Hibernation time depends also on how many apps are open. If you got the OS naked it is quick. If the whole RAM is bursting full it does take considerably longer probably even with the SSD.
    Hibernation is also mostly sequential thus an SSD is not by orders of magnitude faster on it than a HDD.
    Maybe you just compare an old quick hibernation with a new one with loads more stuff open.

7. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

I am comparing to the last time before I put the ssd (i've tested the time to see the improvements) so the apps are the same (chrome, with 20 tabs +evernote + trillian)

free ram: 4.36 gb out of 8

8. LCTN macrumors newbie

I ran into this same issue in my mid 2010 MBP. It now has a SSD in optibay plus a HDD in the original bay and it takes around a minute to enter a sleep.

I'll try the hibernate 0, to see if this solves this problem.

btw, I've also updated the RAM, from 4Gb to 8Gb.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is probably the reason. More RAM means apps fetch it more aggressively. Even with the same usage you end up using more RAM. In the end the entire RAM content needs to go onto the HDD.
    That is fast if you have 1GB RAM and rather slow if it needs to write 7GB of data. Usage usually changes too by some degree.

hibernate mode 0 solves the problem because it skips the whole image writing part and just enters standby. With 32GB of RAM that wouldn't take any longer.

10. LCTN macrumors newbie

It makes sense.

Just got home, and yes, the hibernatemode 0 solves the problem. It now takes around 5 seconds to hibernate.

I never ran out of battery as my MBP is always plugged in, so no problem:)

Thanks!

11. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

so you have the same setup as me, my mac is also mid 2010 :)

I have 8gb of ram before the ssd upgrade, so for me it doesn't seam to be the problem

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could try running a program that logs/records all disk I/Os.
    No idea if there is anything on board but there definitely are such apps as THG use them quite extensively in their recent ssd reviews.

Would just give answer if there is some kind of stall before or after the image writing or if the whole process is just way to slow.

Maybe just killing off hibernation, restarting and enabling it again does something though I doubt it.

13. LCTN macrumors newbie

It's a great machine:D

Did you try the solution above? Just to see if the issue is solved by it, you can revert it back later to default.

14. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

yes, if i turn the hibernatemode to 0 it takes 3 or 4s to sleep, I will look for a program to see what is happening in the disk.

maybe because I have 2 hdds it writes on both?

15. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member

I found this on system log:

Mar 14 21:01:08 marcomartins kernel[0]: PMStats: Hibernate write took 21024 ms

so if the write took 21s, the rest 24s are still a question (I is taking 45s to sleep)

and this time is the same even if i have zero apps open

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't know enough about the low level stuff to think of any solution.

All I can see to do is not a solution.
    Gather up the data and send a detailed bug report to Apple. Maybe they will fix it.

In the mean time set the hibernation mode to 0 or accept that live with the 1 min wait. I still don't understand what is the trouble of hitting cmd+s before closing the lid on the 1 open application that requires it. I would do that in any case.

17. Neo4 thread starter macrumors member