SSD & HDD SuperDrive Switch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatoneguy82, Jan 9, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, I pulled the trigger on this SSD upgrade the other day and it's coming in the mail tomorrow. I was set on a 128GB but for some reason right before I checked out, I decided to put a 256GB. Oh well.

Anyway, I've read numerous reports regarding where to put the SSD and the HDD. Seems like the optimal place is the SSD in the optical bay and keep the HDD in the original location due to shock protection. Some have reported that they have wake issues with the SSD in the optibay since the MBP doesn't access that on waking up. Some have had no issues at all with this setup. I want to go with this setup. However, if I do get any issues, can I just simply swap the drives in the other location? No reconfiguring anything or installing everything again or something?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can just swap the SSD with the HDD, maybe you have to hold down the OPTION key, but probably not.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, this is for the first time, right? And then I would choose in the system settings where to boot from. I'm sure this whole thing would make much more sense and easy when I actually have it in front of me.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but even if you don't do it and the Mac boots from the HDD and not the SSD, you can change it in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

5. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ok so I've done the switch perfectly with no problems at all. SuperDrive is an enclosure is in a super slim case.The SSD is in the original HDD and HDD is in the optibay. Most everything was installed on the SSD, but because of the size of them I had to put it to the HDD. They were all my music and pictures. I redirected apps to see where they are now; it was pretty easy. I still have 130GB left on my SSD and 225GB on my HDD. Startup is almost instant. Once, I put in my pw, and the apps open, I can use them.

Basically, I really enjoy having this drive and would be sad if anything happened to it. It comes with a 1yr manufacturer's warranty already. However, I can purchase a Square Trade warranty for 3 years. This would have the ADH option that you can add if you want to or not. I usually do, since you never know what may happen. I have a SQ 30% (max $30) coupon to help discount the price.

Cost of SSD: $360
    Cost for warranty: $375
    3 year warranty: $53.99
    3 year warranty with ADH and with 30% off: $80.99 (ADH is $27); $56.69 (minus $24.30 for the coupon)

Is it worth $56.69 to get this warranty or am I just wasting my money? I know I can always cancel, but I'd rather find out now.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

SSD prices are only going down and getting faster and bigger. Extending the warranty is a waste IMO, save the money and put it towards a faster bigger one when you are ready.

Good to hear, I think I will be doing the same. A thought, if you got a SSD with the faster interface it can only use that faster interface in the original HDD location, the optical bay has a slower SATA interface so I read in the anandtech review. It is a very small difference real world though. I will have to look at the shock mounting to see if it looks like it is worthwhile to leave the original disk there, I hadn't considered that before. Mine is an intel G2 so no SATA 6G anyway.

Personally I'm not even going to bother with the optical drive, it's going into storage.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Why did you switch if you weren't having any problems with sleep? Did the optibay look as if it wash't affording shock protection because of the lack of rubber stabilizers?