SSD + HDD = Unable to login

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by marksandvig, Mar 7, 2014.

1. marksandvig macrumors regular

Hi everyone!

I recently installed an SSD and HDD into my mac. I used carbon copy cloner to move everything besides my home folder to the SSD (Home folder is where a lot of large files are located). I went to my settings and re-linked my user account to the correct home folder in my old HDD. Everything went great until I deleted everything off the old drive except for the home file. I also renamed both drives in case that matters the hd went Macintosh HD -> Macintosh HDD and the SSD went from Macintosh HD 1 -> Macintosh SSD.

I restarted and now my computer gives the message "You are unable to log in to the user account "" at this time.

Can anyone be of help? Thanks in advance!

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

What method did you use to do this?

You're probably going to have to fix this issue in single user mode:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10795

3. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Advanced Options -> Home Directory.

Any idea how to resolve this in single user mode?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you create any /Users folder on your SSD?

I'd go into recovery mode and create a second account so you can at least log into the machine. I wonder if the missing folder could be causing issues.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you still have the original disk you cloned from?

If you do, I have a suggestion. Don't put the homer folder on a second drive. It can be done, but it seems every time there is a post on this people are having trouble as it can be temperamental and subject to easily being broken like you have done.

I would reclone to the SSD and go ahead and put your users folder on the SSD, but do not clone over the large subfolders (like Music and Pictures) that would fill up the SSD. Then put those subfolders only on the HDD and symlink them from the SSD to the HDD.

This will be much easier for you to manage.

Option key boot to the old drive and login to your account then run the command below in Terminal. That will list each user folder with a number in GB to the left showing folder size to help you decide which data you want on the HDD.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g ~/