Ssd & hdd

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FriarJnr, Sep 17, 2014.

1. FriarJnr macrumors newbie

FriarJnr

I'm looking at buying an iMac (second hand but very new), the specs are Apple 27" iMac SSD 32gb Ram GTX 780M i5 3.4ghz turbo to 3.8ghz but it seems to only have the 512GB Flash Storage installed.

Can I add an HDD? If I can does that make it a Fusion system or is that a special configuration that can't be added aftermarket?

I currently have an 2011 27" iMac with standard GPU and 8GB RAM. I assume I'd see a significant performance increase between the two (Bootcamp gaming and Graphic Design under OS X)?

Thanks.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It would be major surgery to add the HD, it would be incredibly simple and get the same result by adding a Thunderbolt or USB 3 EHD. I'd recommend looking at OWC's Mercury Elite Pro series for USB 3. You can find them at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

3. FriarJnr thread starter macrumors newbie

FriarJnr

Great, thanks for the info & suggestion. So I'm thinking OS X and Bootcamp on the SSD and then partition a large EHD and put the relevant resource files on that, sounds good?

Also, what's quicker, Thunderbolt or USB 3.0?

Thanks.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

For HDD, there is no real world difference in speed between thunderbolt and USB 3.0. Therefore, better to pick the cheaper and more compatible one, USB 3.0.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

An HDD will cap out at around 100 MB/s. USB 3.0 is more than enough to handle that. Realistically, unless you are planning to use an SSD externally right now, a TB enclosure is not necessary, and won't provide any benefit. Unless you need the USB ports for something else, a USB 3.0 enclosure will be perfect.

Matt