SSD health 95% after two weeks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andeify, Dec 30, 2014.

1. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I stumbled across this today when showing off my new MacBook Pro to my brother. The app is HWMonitor, is this something to be worried about?

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Doesn't look great

but a few caveats

a) I have no idea how accurate or reliable that app is.

b) a bit of downtime and trim may well sort that out no issues at all.

c) is it showing any issues have you tried repairing permissions??

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Mine shows exactly the same numbers and are also less than 2 weeks old. It is a 512GB ssd. I don't think it is anything to be alarmed about.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Worth mentioning it'll use a lot of writes to image the SSD with the operating system and apps initially. Those files are unlikely to change now for a long period of time.

5. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

programs like that (Drive info, cpu temp/speed, battery info, etc) are bad for new macbook owners. It just makes the new owner paranoid, best thing you can do is get Apple Care and an external drive for time machine backup. Enjoy your new macbook and forget about all those specs.

I know that doesn't answer your question but Apple will handle any issue when / if it comes up.

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Mine is 93% and it's 2 years old. I don't know how this % is calculated so I wouldn't really care.

7. Appledreamer macrumors member

can you send me a direct link to that app? i can't find it with the info you have given

8. mannyo1221 macrumors member

9. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

SSD life???? What will they think of next. Enjoy your new Mac as you will probably be back on this forum looking up answers for issues such as battery life long before hard drive degradation becomes an issue.

10. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Don't waste time worrying. That percentage is rather meaningless. The ssd could die after a month or keep going a decade down the road.

Treat it like a typical hard drive and back up your data to a secondary location.

11. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

That looks like the right app. I recognise the logo.

After a few other people have said they get the same info I've figured it's nothing to worry about.

12. ZVH macrumors 6502

That's probably a tool based on SMART technology, and SMART technology is notoriously BAD. Many of the people producing SMART monitoring stuff are using the codebase used for smartmontools, which is a command line tool and it's FREE. What they do is launch the command line tool as an exec'd process and then parse the output. The problem is that SMART status changes fairly often for SSDs for firmware versions and people using smartmontools for their products don't even bother updating it.

I use Scannerz myself. If blocks are being dropped or lost it will pick them up. I bet 50 bucks there's nothing wrong with your drive at all. The reporting is probably just outdated.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I just use the computer and not worry about SSD lifespan. Its like watching the battery cycles, no good comes of it, and people get too worked up about it.

If the computer works as you expect it too, great, enjoy it :)

14. Antj29 macrumors member

today's MAC's are just like new Cars.

I love to tinker with my car, in fact my old Track Civic Type R is as basic as they come, no fancy traction control, a cable operated throttle and apart from the central locking nothing is electric. I love it because i know on the whole if anything goes wrong i myself can sort it with a few tools and thats why i keep it.

Where as my daily is a new small engined supercharged and turbocharged unit, with 7 gears which are also semi auto, has bings and bongs for everything. If anything goes wrong because everything is a sealed unit i can do very little. However i just take it back to the shop as it's under warranty and they fix a module and give it back. Just like MACs they don't repair individual parts they simply refit an entire unit.

It's that powerlessness you get on new things where they are made to be non repairable for a reason.

So i can see why people get paranoid by new MACS.

But personally i would not worry about it, as long as you back up the gold which in this case is your data then you are good to go.

15. introsuit macrumors newbie

For my less than two weeks old macbook it also shows 95%. I wouldn't worry about it.

16. BradHatter macrumors regular

I had an SSD go bad on me and it ended up getting replaced by warranty. Trust me. If you have problems, you'll know it.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Mine is a 512gb SSD. I looked about 6 months ago and it was at 93%. I looked a couple days ago and it was still at 93%. Between that time, I have completely formatted and reinstalled OSX and Windows twice, as well as done a lot of writes. So, I'm honestly not sure if it makes much of a difference.