SSD Help! For mid-2007 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sharon22, May 1, 2015.

1. sharon22, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

sharon22 macrumors regular

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're unlikely to notice any differences between the two in that model iMac.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agree with above poster.

The older iMac probably has a slower (SATA-2?) internal bus.

A "premium" modern-day SSD will actually be "too fast" -- in other words, it will be "faster than the computer".

So... don't put extra $$$ towards the highest-end SSD, you'll be spending it for nothing.

I'd suggest an "economy model" SSD, speeds are not that important, because of the slow internal bus, the speed of the SSD won't make any difference.

All will deliver the same relative speeds.

4. philip.ihle macrumors newbie

Hi Fishrrman,

since I am planing to upgrade my iMac mid 2007 2 GHz with a SSD drive, I found your comment most interesting! What SSD would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Philip

5. smythey, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

smythey macrumors regular

My parents have that exact machine, and I upgraded it with a Crucial M500 240GB drive (now discontinued). Worked a charm, and now considerably faster. You can get a Crucial BX100 240GB drive for under £65 now.

6. philip.ihle macrumors newbie

Thank you smythey!
    Have you installed it instead of the optical drive or replaced the hd? Did you do a complete reinstallation of all the software?

7. smythey macrumors regular

I swapped it for the existing HDD which had failed. Booted from a USB drive and reinstalled OSX, then copied all the files over from an external drive which had a recent Superduper backup.

8. jasoncarmony macrumors newbie

jasoncarmony

I just did this swap with my daughter's mid 2007. I chose a budget SSD as suggested from these forums. BiWin is the brand. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0Y4WJY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    For the money, holy CRAP!!! I speed tested the original HD and it tested at best around 30 read and maybe 40 write speeds. With the SSD, the test went to 145 and 200. Her iMac is so much faster that it was. No more spinning wheel.