Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Etherz10

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
ok you guys probably have seen so many of these but.....

i recently purchased a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB and would like to use it for OS and User account while still having my data on my 1TB raid 0 array

i have installed OS X 10.6.6 on the SSD but i dont know what to do now is there any way to transfer just the account and no files from it

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can use Migration Assistant to transfer your settings and apps to the SSD. You can also relocate your Home folder to the HD so stuff will automatically be written to the HD instead of the SSD

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Hello there,

I want to buy a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD, too. I'll be using it as Bootdrive and Apps.
My Mac Pro early 2009 is running up since Summer 2009 and I would be happy if I don't have to install everything again.
Currently I am using 3x1TB WD in Raid 0 (everything installed on).

As I understand, it should be no problem when I install OSX on my SSD and importing all the Apps and Settings via Migration Assistent.

My only problem is, my HD Library on my current system is 180GB because some Audio Applications have some audio files stored there. If I create some shortcuts located to my Raid 0 setup, would that work? If not, any suggestions?

The only thing I would have to do then is set my Home folder (user folder) to the one on my Raid 0 array.

Will this work?

Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hello there,

I want to buy a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD, too. I'll be using it as Bootdrive and Apps.
My Mac Pro early 2009 is running up since Summer 2009 and I would be happy if I don't have to install everything again.
Currently I am using 3x1TB WD in Raid 0 (everything installed on).

As I understand, it should be no problem when I install OSX on my SSD and importing all the Apps and Settings via Migration Assistent.

My only problem is, my HD Library on my current system is 180GB because some Audio Applications have some audio files stored there. If I create some shortcuts located to my Raid 0 setup, would that work? If not, any suggestions?

The only thing I would have to do then is set my Home folder (user folder) to the one on my Raid 0 array.

Will this work?

Thanks.

You could manually transfer the apps and maybe reinstall some of them. Anyhow, I wouldn't buy an SSD right now as 25nm SSDs will be out soon with better prices. Sounds like you don't need it right now either. Might be that you can get a bigger SSD for the same $

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
You could manually transfer the apps and maybe reinstall some of them. Anyhow, I wouldn't buy an SSD right now as 25nm SSDs will be out soon with better prices. Sounds like you don't need it right now either. Might be that you can get a bigger SSD for the same $

But can I also make links (Shortcuts) to my System Library?

I'm planning to upgrade my Memory aswell to 24GB (4x2,4x4) instead of 12GB (6x2GB).

Will this work great?

Slot1: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot2: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot3: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC
Slot4: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC

Slot5: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot6: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot7: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC
Slot8: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC

I don't go for OWC because I live in switzerland I can get a 4GB Kingston Module for 80$.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But can I also make links (Shortcuts) to my System Library?

That's something I have no idea about. I've heard people doing it but I can't help you with that :eek:

I'm planning to upgrade my Memory aswell to 24GB (4x2,4x4) instead of 12GB (6x2GB).

Will this work great?

Slot1: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot2: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot3: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC
Slot4: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC

Slot5: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot6: Kingston 4GB 1066 ECC
Slot7: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC
Slot8: Apple 2GB 1066 ECC

I don't go for OWC because I live in switzerland I can get a 4GB Kingston Module for 80$.

Should work fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.