SSD Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbyun04, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I'm thinking about purchasing an OCZ Vertex 30GB tomorrow for $70 of craigs. Apparently it's an RMA that's still factory sealed in box and he just wants to get rid of it.

Question is:
    1. Is that deal too good to be true?
    2. If I do get it, and I put the SSD in place of my SuperDrive, will it void my warranty?
    3. To get it in the SuperDrive slot I need one of those OptiBays correct? Is there anything cheaper than the $99 one you get from MCE? The only real draw for me from there is the SuperDrive enclosure they include..

I'd love to see some alternatives for the SuperDrive enclosure and the enclosure to put the SSD in but if $99s the cheapest I guess I gotta go with that..

Finally will 30GB be enough to hold OSX, Photoshop CS4, Dreamweaver CS4, Illustrator CS4, InDesign CS4 and Flash CS4?

Mid 2009 MBP 15" by the way :)

2. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

1) I don't think that's too good of a deal. Sounds about right for a small SSD.

2) Technically yes. But if you don't damage anything you'll be fine. It will only void your warranty if they can prove any issues you're getting service for is because of the mod/install.

3) Newmodeus is awesome. Quick responses and super fast shipping.

Most of your questions are in the super long optibay alternative thread. The only issue we still seem to have is with getting new enclosures for our SuperDrives. They seem to be iffy, and I've had issues with the Superdrive Hack lol.