Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkieMark92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
London, UK
I have a 2012 IMac and currently have Bootcamp on it but its really slow when I want to boot into the Bootcamp to play games. I was thinking of getting a 128GB SSD with Thunderbolt and installing Windows on to that and then booting into Windows from there. Then I thought why not put OSX on it too but if I want to use the Windows Bootcamp on my Macbook Air I couldn't as would have to shut down my IMac all the time. So the question is could I use an External 128GB SSD for OSX and another one for Windows 8? Also if I installed Windows 8 on the External SSD could I use it on my Macbook Air 2013? Also I was thinking of buying these Thunderbolt but could I get away with USB3? :) Thanks in Advance :)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
So the question is could I use an External 128GB SSD for OSX and another one for Windows 8?

Yes, but why not just get a 256GB SSD and partition it half and half? That's what I'm doing, running OS X off a 500GB SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure that is partitioned half and half between it and Windows 7 Bootcamp.

Also if I installed Windows 8 on the External SSD could I use it on my Macbook Air 2013?

You could use Bootcamp with either the iMac or the MBA but not plug and play with both because of the different hardware.

Also I was thinking of buying these Thunderbolt but could I get away with USB3?

Yes, but make sure to get a UASP USB3 enclosure if you're going to be booting off of the drive. I recommend this one for $18. Keep in mind though that with USB you will not be able to run TRIM commands or upgrade SSD firmware. That said, it's actually slightly faster than Thunderbolt.

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt 500GB SSD USB 3.0 SATA

might be good

i wanted to run SSD on my iMac late 2013 for gaming via bootcamp

not sure if windows 7 64bit can be installed on ex-SSD?
then using it via bootcamp:confused:

Thunderbolt would be bette than USB 3 i think

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt 500GB SSD USB 3.0 SATA might be good

For larger SSDs you could spend $82.50 on the Delock Thunderbolt enclosure,add your own SSD and have the advantage of AC-power.

I'm actually not sure either because I didn't install it to the SSD but rather Winclone'd and moved it there. I am quite sure it will run perfectly on an external SSD. :)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt 500GB SSD USB 3.0 SATA

might be good

i wanted to run SSD on my iMac late 2013 for gaming via bootcamp

Thunderbolt would be bette than USB 3 i think

I run Windows 7 and now 8 on an iMac using a Thunderbolt external LaCie "Rugged" SSD. Install Windows internally, run Windows with the Thunderbolt enclosure attached to load the driver, then use WinClone to copy it to the external Thunderbolt SSD and delete the internal copy before trying to boot the new external copy. Works great!

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.