SSD in 2007 MacBook Pro with 1.5 Gbps SATA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rootsmaneuver, Mar 2, 2010.

1. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

Hey ya'll. I'm a proud owner of a 2007 MBP 2.2 GHz and am considering the final upgrade - an SSD.

I've already got 6GB RAM and a 7200rpm drive and my machine gets along pretty well, but I'm curious if adding an SSD to this model would really make sense, or if I would just suffer from the bottleneck of the 1.5Gbps SATA bus.

Are there cheaper, slower SSD's that would "fit" my model better? I see no sense in spending hundreds of dollars on something I wont even fully utilize.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

2. schjlatah macrumors newbie

MacBook2,1 SSD and RAM upgrade

SIX gigs of ram you say?!
    I'm not questioning the veracity of your claim, just wondering how you did it.
    That is awesome for such an old machine.
    I also have a 2007 MB (MacBook2,1) but have only dared hazard the money for 3GB of RAM.
    Do you have a Macbook3,1 or something, or are you running a 2 and a 4GB that both recognize?
    How did you do it?

And how did the SSD upgrade go?
    Was it worth it?
    I am considering replacing my disused optical drive with my 500GB HDD and upgrading to a SATA for my boot drive; just don't know if its worth it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maximum RAM for that model is, indeed, 6GB. Apple claims a max of 4GB, but it will recognize and use 6GB.

4. rootsmaneuver thread starter macrumors member

SSD upgrade is all fine and dandy now. I've got a 320 GB 7200 WD drive in the optical bay by way of a Fenvi "optibay"module. I ran in to problems with the SSD in the optical bay, so I'm put it back in the standard location and disabled the sudden motion sensor (SMS). l also discovered that the 500 GB Seagate drive I had in the optical bay would suddenly unmount, my system would hang and eventually cause a kernal panic. Thankfully someone had commented on that specific issue with the Seagate drives on this forum. I swapped with an older WD drive and all is fine and dandy.

The SSD is an OWC 120 GB. I could have opted for something cheaper/slower, but I wanted something built to last that I could remove and put in to a newer machine, whenever that day arrives. The 120 GB is ample for my apps, docs and iPhoto library. I've got the iTunes and some random files on the drive in the optibay.

I do have the 3,1, Santa Rosa model, and yes, 6GB is recognized and works like a charm. OWC as well. With the RAM and SSD, the machine feels quick enough that I feel no NEED to upgrade/replace the machine anytime soon. It will happen in the next 1-2 years though, I'm sure.

I should note that, yes the 6GB of RAM comes from 1x 2GB and 1x 4GB chips.