SSD in 2008 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lotso, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Is it possible to install just any SSD in an iMac from 2008? I heard that there might be some temperature problems?

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

3. simsaladimbamba

I installed an SSD in my 2007 Aluminium iMac and it works okay and the temperature sensor is not a problem. I have just left the sensor off and get no temp report in iStat and the HDD fan speed is still at 1200 RPM.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find threads about 2008 iMacs and SSDs:
    [​IMG]

----------

The temp sensor. If it is not properly attached onto the HDD/SSD in newer Macs, the temps are not reported correctly and the HDD fan spins at its maximum speed.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Gotcha, He mentioned temperature problems so I wasn't sure what he meant specifically problems with internal temperatures.

On my 2011 iMac iStats displays the temp for both of my aftermarket drives.
    A WD 1TB Black and a Corsair ForceGT, it also displays the names of each.
    I did install a program to bring the HDD fan back down to quiet speeds but I have no temperature related problems per se.

5. freespeed macrumors member

Hey I have a 2007 iMac myself. I recently purchased a Crucial 512GB SSD and it's still enroute from B&H. I was trying to see benchmark before and afters for the 2007 iMac's but couldn't find much info out there. Was wondering if you had any information to share about the differences in performance. Obviously it is faster, but I just wanted to know because I am having second thoughts about putting a $650 drive in an iMac that might be very well worth $650.

Also you mentioned that you left that temperature sensor off, any particular reason why you did that?

6. simsaladimbamba, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

simsaladimbamba

As it is only a 60 GB SSD (formerly in my 2009 MBP, which now has a 120 GB SSD), I store all my big files on a Firewire 800 JBOD enclosure with two 1.5 TB HDDs, I don't do much "big file copy processes" on the SSD.
    But it is still fast to boot, fast opening applications and generally reacting more fluidly than with an internal HDD.
    I left the sensor off, because I either forgot or didn't want. It is not, that the temp of the iMac ever goes beyond 60 to 70 ° C during CPU intensive tasks anyway.
    [​IMG]

Yesterday was the first day that SSD was really full, as I had swap files accumulating to 12 GB (I only have 4 GB RAM) and had ten applications open, three of them really RAM hungry. As I already have an Applications folder with almost 19 GB of stuff in it, it gets that way rather often. Maybe if it happens more often, I will switch to a 120 GB SSD sometime. But for now, it is okay.
    [​IMG]

7. freespeed macrumors member

Awesome, appreciate the info. Thanks!