SSD in 2008 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgw1283, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

Thinking about replacing my current HD with an SSD. How would I be able to get all my data off my old one and migrate it to a new SSD? I've never installed a drive before. Whenever I've gotten a new computer I just used Firewire and migration assistant. Would an SSD make a huge diff with an older comp like this vs a 7200rpm drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, a SSD will be much faster than any HDD. A quick way to do this is to buy the SSD in an external enclosure, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your HDD to the SSD. Then simply swap the drives and boot up. The SSD is now your internal drive and your HDD is now useful as an external drive, for backups or additional storage.

3. ACiB macrumors member

I had a 2008 MBP, pre unibody. Great machine, but it was getting sluggish. I was just about to get the Samsung 830, or the Crucial M4 right before the Motherboard died :( it was time I guess. Anyway, that machine's motherboard did not have support for the newer SATA III standard, but you'd still notice a huge difference in daily use when going from HDD to SSD.

You can use, as the above poster said, CCC. What I'd do is get a cheap SATA to USB cable, plug the new drive in and fire up CCC.

4. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

where could I get one of those? sounds like a good option

5. ACiB macrumors member

I always shop on newegg.com. If you go for the M4, you can buy it directly from crucial at crucial.com