SSD in 2009 Macbook Pro and wait for 2013 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hooper2, Oct 7, 2012.

1. hooper2 macrumors member

Hey all,

My wife and I have a 2009 macbook pro, and 2008 unibody macbook. I'm starting to look at upgrading to two 11'' MBA's.

I know the "what would you do?" threads are tiresome, so I apologize in advance. But I would love some thoughts...

Option A:
    Buy MBAs now.

Option B:
    Buy SSDs for current Macbooks and wait until next Summer for '13 MBA w/Haswell.

I know I'm getting to the life cycle where our HDs could fail. I do BU regularly with CCC, but still prefer to be proactive.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say... how do you use the machines and what are your disk storage needs?

You can get a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD now for $90 that would completely transform the user experience on both those machines and easily get you through another year.

3. hooper2 thread starter macrumors member

I was looking at the Intel 330 240gig SSD. The 128 gig would be tight.... I have 95 gigs of music and 45 gigs of photos. :-/

4. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I've just sold a 2008 unibody MBP and placed an order for a Air, so that's my answer I guess. The question is why do you feel you need to upgrade? How much do you find yourself waiting for an underperforming computer right now?

The whole thing about the HDDs failing because the computer is a few years old is a red herring - HDDs can fail at any time. I've got quite a few macs and PCs on the go here and I manage a fairly large LAN at work and I've known plenty of drives last well over 5 years and I've known plenty of drives of all kinds fail within a month or so of arriving as new disks.

Having said that, a decent SSD would make those machines probably feel almost new again in performance terms, and you'd certainly get at least one more year of use out of them.