SSD in 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saccento, Mar 1, 2011.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Hey guys I have a late 2010 MBP I purchased a few months ago and intend on keeping it until the next gen of MBP's.

I want to upgrade my HD to a SSD.

A couple questions: which ones do you recommend and would it void the original apple care warranty??

thanks in advance!!

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hi! Pretty much have the same rig and plans; the SSD is user replaceable (as in it doesn't void warranty in Apple's eyes), but as for recommendations I'm personally waiting for Intel to bring out their G3.

Even if it doesn't match OWC's Mercury Extreme Pro (what looks to me the most interesting of the Corsair/Sandforce driven SSD's) for speed it should be less expensive per Gb and may have an impact on the pricing of these.

Apparently the G3 is due out this quarter, but its already been delayed before so I guess its down to what size and speed you want it for and when:D

(I think NickZac posted a comparison a while back- can't seem to get mroogle or the forum search to worth right now though...)

3. satirev macrumors 6502

isnt the G3 a sata III? and wouldnt the 2010 mbp not be able to fully utilize the G3 because it only supports sata II?

4. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Im looking to buy a 510 series

just wondering tho does intel have its own garbage collection so the absense of trim on OSX till Lion wont have too much of a damaging effect?

5. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Didn't know it was SATA III! Although it might not be able to fully utilise the surplus, the current gen. doesn't saturate the connection with data already, so it should still be cheaper and the absolute fastest that your MBP can handle- something I'm well up for mainly because of cost but also once its maxed out I'll know I'm 'done' until my needs demand a whole new league of computing (so probably a desktop). With plagiarism from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091040 :eek:

@saccento that link btw http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1070229&highlight=nickzac+ssd

6. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento