SSD in a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diode, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Has anyone done the replacement?

I use my macbook as a secondary computer so space really isn't key. I have a feeling with all the big manufacturers using SSD's the price will drop this year.

Anyways anyone know if OSX version for the macbook's support it? I remember reading somewhere that someone doing the swap on his pro experienced lockup problems.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

A disk is a disk, you take the old one out and put the new one in. Provided you get the correct shape of drive and a SATA one then you should be fine. The computer can't possibly tell what kind of drive it has.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can. as long as its an SATA interface, 2.5", it'll work. I'm just waiting until the 128GB+ sizes, hopefully at least a 256GB right now

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

if you can live off a 16gb compact flash card, you can fine one for under $50 while the 32gb will be about 3 times the cost. and the sata to compact flash adapter will cost you just under $20.

i'd like to get the 16gb and a cf to ata/ide for my ibook.

5. DCSMAC macrumors member

how long do you think it will be until 128gd ssd drives are less than $300. 2 years maybe?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Probably 2 years. 3 at the most. They get cheeper every month.

7. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Could be sooner with all the new stuff being released this year but 2 years sound reasonable.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Something worth considering for people who compulsively upgrade: the biggest bottleneck in computers these days isn't the processor, and it hasn't been for years. It's the hard drive. If you invest in ways of widening the bottleneck (like SSD drives), you'll do far, far, FAR more for your sense of "speed" than you will by keeping up with the next three processor upgrades from Apple.

Remember, if you aren't using more than 1.5ghz on average of processing power, it's not going to matter whether you buy the 2.0 Macbook, the 2.2 Macbook, the 2.4 Macbook Pro, or the 2.6 Macbook Pro. It won't matter if you buy the 2.8 iMac; it's like buying supercars for trips to the grocery store. Waste of money, waste of time. Invest in things that'll really make a difference--like faster drives.

9. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Yep I agree ... however programs and OS have ways of bloating things. What runs great now might not do so 2 years from now. It will be a great way to extend the life of these machines though and will help computer manufacturers increase real world speeds and reducing power / heat consumption.

I remember when my Performa 638 was speedy :-/