SSD in Addition to stock HDD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andylaiphoto, Jun 25, 2012.

1. andylaiphoto macrumors member

OWC sells a harness for installing an SSD drive in your optical drive slot. I never use my optical drive so I have no issues getting rid of it. My goal is to make the SSD my OS drive with all my applications. My stock HDD will be where I store all my files?

Few questions
    - Is this setup my best bet for speed? I am a photographer and use my MBP for editing stills and video.
    - How do I get my OS and apps onto the SSD?
    - What issues will arise from splitting all this info? Will apps have trouble locating old files because of the way they were saved in the past, now that the files are on separate drives?

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Just clone the original drive with SuperDuper or some other cloning app. The SSD really should go into the Primary HDD bay and move the stock HDD to the Optical Bay. Some MBPs do not support 6Gbps SSDs in the Optical Bay and will have issues.

3. andylaiphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

What I am curious to know is this...

Is there any difference from iFixIt's and OWCs bay adapters? Is one better than another? I see OWCs comes with tools to properly change the drive.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I see a lot of people recommend both. I've done this 3 times all 3 with cheap optibays off eBay for under $20 each. All have worked fine. Only told needed are the correct size screwdriver and the correct size torx.