SSD in an older iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WorkerBee2015, Apr 2, 2015.

1. WorkerBee2015 macrumors member

I have a 2006 iMac that I use to watch some news feeds on. Here's it's story and info:

It's a late 2006 17", identifier iMac 5,1, Model Number A1208.

This is one of the units that had a problem with the displays. My 17" display went bad about 3 years ago. I had a spare 20" monitor laying around that wasn't really doing anything so I opened the thing up and pulled the display connector out of the video connection to the 17" display and connected the external 20" display to it. I've been using it like this for about 3 years. All I do is use it to view news feeds and sometimes online video. I just didn't see any point in putting it to waste.

Anyway, today the thing got a little glitchy. Firefox was slow opening, and everything just slowed down. At first I thought maybe the network connection was a little bottlenecked, but when I went to shut the thing down I got spinning beach balls, which told me maybe it's the HD. The thing is, after all, almost 9 years old.

I got out my copy of Scannerz and within minutes it started detecting errors. I put Scannerz into diagnostics mode to make sure it wasn't the cable and did about 2000 iterations of interface tests. Interface tests came back clean so I know the cable is good. HD tests did not come back clean. It's got a few sections of bad sectors in about the 20-30GB range.

Even thought this thing is old, it's more than capable of doing what I need it to do, which is watch online video, mostly news stuff. I have a MacBook Pro too, but if I watch video for a prolonged period of time it tends to get hot, and I'd like to preserve it for real work, not secondary stuff like this.

I started looking at HDs to replace it and some of the smaller SSDs, like 64GB SSDs are pretty reasonable priced, so I'm thinking of just getting one of them instead of another HD.

My question is, will this work? The iMac has a 3.5" form factor and the SSDs have a 2.5" form factor. Will I need cable adapters or anything like that? Any special mounting hardware?

If you look at the stats for the iMac I'm talking about uses a 1.5Gb/sec SATA so it doesn't even have to be the fastest SSD around. The only thing that will be put on the system will be the operating system, Firefox, Chrome, and of course Flash.

Anyone out there do this? Tips, suggestions, and recommendations for drives etc are more than welcome.

Thanks.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I put a 256GB SSD in my late 2006 iMac, and it made a world of difference in the speed of the machine as any SSD will do. You do not need any special adapters for the smaller physical size of the SSD, although some double-sided sticky tape probably wouldn't be a terrible idea; that's how mine is mounted. Other than that, enjoy your faster iMac!

3. ZVH macrumors 6502

It should work, but my advice is don't go too cheap. There seem to be a lot of strange SSD brands cropping up like mushrooms. I'd stick with a name brand like Samsung, Intel, SanDisk, OWC, etc. You might want to check which brands Apple uses since I assume they'll be trustworthy.