SSD in BTO Macbook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boostin, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Boostin macrumors member

Hey, just want some info on the SDD that you can get in the build to order 17" Macbook Pro. I couldnt find a thread that actually answered my questions but if there is one i apologize in advance for creating a new one. :) but basically "how much" faster is the SSD then the 7200 RPM drive that you can get in BTO? i mean in every day tasks. Saving a pages file, opening a word document, opening iphoto, opening imovie, booting OSX. XP via boot camp and/or parallels/VMfusion. How about moving between different windows, doing multiple things at once. Basically just real world stuff? And the drive i believe that they use is a MLC ( i have done some research :) ) which i guess is the "not so good" type of SSD. and finally, if i could pick up the SSD in the BTO area for $225, would it be worth it? also, i am not so much worried about the amount of space considering 128 is no where close to 320, im more conserned with everyday use.
    Im a college kid, use pages, and keynote quite a but. also do some stuff in iphoto and basic movie editing in imovie. thats it. Thank you in advance for any tips, facts, opinions from anyone and everyone.

Boostin.

2. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

You dont even need a Macbook pro for your uses. A Macbook or Macbook Air will do you just fine.