SSD in Drive Bay: Boot Priority & Various Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSandman2236, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

Hi Everyone -- I have a few questions

#1 If I install an SSD in my drive bay -- How will the boot process be handled for OSX?

#2 Let's say I buy a 128GB or 256 SSD, and choose to put my iPhoto and iTunes library on my 750GB HDD, how will time machine handle the back up process?

#3 What are my options when using Bootcamp with an SSD in the drive bay? (Will I have the same boot process issues?) (Can I install it to the main 750GB drive? And will time machine by affected?)

Thanks!
    Chris

2. bomsom macrumors member

There are already some threads about your questions but I´ll try to answer them:

You can choose the primary boot drive in OSX preferences.

Anyone correct me if I´m wrong but I think it'll be fine. You'll either move your user home folder to the HDD or make symbolic links in the SSD to certain folders and put them in the HDD. Either way TM will backup your home folder.

I never used Bootcamp so can´t help yo with this one.

Cheers

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Time machine will handle the process and it'll be way easier than you think. When you open Time Machine from a Mac backed up with that configuration, it backs up everything, and you can access and restore files just as you would from browsing Finder. It's way easier than you realize, trust me (I'm not explaining how Time Machine works... I'm just saying that it's the same process as if it were just one internal drive).

You can install Bootcamp to either the HDD or the SSD, it doesn't matter. Regardless of which drive you have it installed on, Bootcamp doesn't get backed up because it is a different file system, and Time Machine detects that.

By default, OS X will boot up in whichever drive/partition you have it set to boot up in. Change it in preferences (as stated by bomsom).

4. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone I appreciate it -- I'm assuming you have bootcamp installed on your machine? It looks like you've got the exact set up I want on your machine.