SSD in early 2008 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt07lx, Dec 6, 2015.

1. matt07lx macrumors newbie

I'm looking for ways to get some extra life out of an early 2008 MBP (simply can't afford a new computer right now). I already have 6 GB of RAM, but I'm considering a SSD since lots of people claim it makes a huge difference. I know that this machine runs SATA I, so is there really any difference between the various SSDs out there today for me? Or should I just buy the cheapest option? Seems like if I ever do get a new MBP, I won't be able to use this SSD in it anyway.

Any opinions on SanDisk? This one is really cheap right now: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449417122&sr=1-7&keywords=SSD

I've also looked at Crucial, Kingston and OWC.

I'd appreciate some input! Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Being able to fully saturate the sata1 bus will show a marked performance increase compared to what your used to.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've only used the Samsung so don't know how well other brands perform. You will see a difference in speed with any SSD out there. Cost really depends on how much space you need. Don't underbuy but don't get too much as the drive will be worth more than the MBP.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are spot on with your thinking here... just get whatever is cheapest since you will never see anything close to rated speeds anyway. That Sandisk you linked is just fine.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep buy the cheapest one you can, I reccomend the crucial BX100 it seems to be a very good disk size/cost ratio.

6. matt07lx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to go with the SanDisk because I need the extra space to replace a 750 GB HDD and its by far the cheapest at this size.

Now the next question: I'm still running Snow Leopard at the moment because I've been hesitant to push a newer OSX on such an old machine. With the SSD, do you think El Capitan would run at an acceptable speed? Or should I set my sights on an intermediate upgrade like Mountain Lion?

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Depends on whether you run a lot of memory or CPU intensive apps. Few people are CPU bound so the SSD is the best upgrade for performance. I consider 8gb the minimum for my use when running OS X apps and 16gb when running a VM and Windows. That was the reason I got rid of my old 17" MBP as it could only take 3gb. My suggestion is to install the SSD, upgrade it to El Cap and keep the old drive in case you want to revert to Snow Leopard.

8. cycledance Suspended

i have the same mbp. (don´t use it anymore really...) early 2008 mbp with 2.4ghz and 6gb ram and an ssd.

yea the ssd is nice...u'll get the usual benefits.

instant access time
    consistent fast speed
    no downspinning
    less heat
    no worries about damaging the hdd by bumping the laptop
    and my personal favorite: silence.

i wouldn´t go for the cheapest ssd...you can remove it later and put it somewhere else.
    i recommend a samsung or sandisk ssd. they are both supercheap.

i have el capitan on it and it's nice. not stuttery like yosemite.