SSD in Late 2013 rMBP integrity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Commy1, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Hey guys,
    Not sure if any threads have been made about this yet but I wanted to ask about/confirm what I think I know about SSD's and whether or not it's changing.

As I understand it constantly writing/deleting information to an SSD degrades it. TRIM is a sub-system that marks a slot for overwrite in an SSD (I think), so the information until it's overwritten isn't really deleted, just marked that it can be.
    I've been putting all of my photos on an external hard drive instantly, they don't even enter the SSD.
    Is this still the same story in the SSD's in the rMBP Late 2013? I don't plan on making it a habit of storing thousands of images on a 256GB drive any how, but just wanted to know.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Don't worry about this.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

As the previous poster says, you really don't have to worry. Anandtech found out that the recent Samsung SSDs that Apple uses have a very long lifetime. Basically, if you constantly write 10GB of data daily to the SSD, then it will fail long, long after you already buy a new laptop to replace this one.

4. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Awesome thanks guys! Little reassurance is always welcomed
    I'm still looking into getting a more portable external HD but knowing that I can store some impermanent data on the drive for a number of years to come is highly appreciated.

Could you link me to that Anandtech article? I'm interested to see how/what Samsung has changed in their hardware, if it's even talked about specifically that is.

5. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

So basically, don't worry about it, as long as you wound up with a Samsung SSD, and not a Toshiba.

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yep here it is: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

With 10GB daily writes, the expected lifetime is 70 years for 256GB MLC.

Now this is not exactly the same SSD Apple might be using in the rMBP, but it most likely has the same endurance.

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

8. skyaflya macrumors newbie

Activity monitor puzzle

In activity monitor the memory tab shows little or no compression and no swapping at all, but go to the disk tab and there seems to be unending writes.

This seems backward.

I have been observing this on a new late 2013 13" rmbp with 8 gig and 500 gig ssd. Nice to know from this thread that there is no real problem with SSD churn, but still puzzling. Seems like an inconsistency in the activity monitor.

9. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

That info is for a 64GB SSD.
    For a 256GB you need to multiply the time by 4 giving 20 years. Also a heavy user is estimated at just over 5GB/day so there is another multiplication factor of 4 making it 80 years. That is if I'm reading it correctly.
    Barney