SSD in Macbook 7,1 with Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcapper, May 13, 2015.

1. dcapper macrumors newbie

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I have been reading posts on the TRIM problems with ssd drives in Macs and am leery on upgrading but I have to do something. My old Macbook is reading/writing at 80. Since my Macbook is only a SATA II, is a Toshiba THNSNC512GBSJ a good buy for this unit? There is some on eBay that have the Apple logo on them, which I would assume would make the drive TRIM enabled without modifications. I have a 1TB drive in there now but I will give up space for speed.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Only in yosemite

That toshiba gets good write ups.

It is only a problem in yosemite where using trim enabler can cause problems when installing updates unless you switch it off.

I would reccomend something with good inbuilt garbage collection so then if you turn off trim enabler and forget it won't make too much difference.

For a SATA 2 drive the Crucial BX100 seems to be the best bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bx100

3. dcapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though the Toshiba is a working Mac pull? I thought Apple drives were exempt from the TRIM problems? That's why I was looking at that drive.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are that is true

It should be fine from a trim point of view, Not the best most modern drive though.

I was just pointing out that trim issues are not a deal breaker for using something else.

5. dcapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. I just want to try to max out the SATA II speeds with good garbage collection. I guess I could buy an OWC drive too.