ssd in macbook pro 2,2 (late 2006)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by limon, May 20, 2011.

1. limon macrumors newbie

hey there,
    is there any reason why this shouldn't work? i looked around a bit, but couldn't find any specific information.

thanks in advance…

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It uses SATA 1.5Gb/s so any SATA SSD will work as SATA is backwards compatible. Assuming you use the HD bay of course, the ODD uses PATA which would require an adapter.

4. limon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

Thanks a lot, so I better jump on the 2011 train, or wait… another year :eek:

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Or buy a drive now and move it over to the new machine when you eventually get one.

The SSD is more than just top-speeds. The access time is great and will make any SATA system more responsive.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i would recommend a third gen SATA 6 drive - since this will tie you over nicely and hold value when you upgrade your MBP, whether in 2011/2012

7. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Just plopped a crucial M4 128GB in my 1st gen Macbook and so far so good. Enabled TRIM without any hiccups and it is nice and fast. That being said, the 1.5Gbps limit is a real bummer. On my PC w/ SATA III I'm getting 3 to 4 times the performance as I am on the macbook. I guess I can't expect much for how old this guy is. The performance improvement is very much worth it though even if I am still wary about the whole TRIM issue.