SSD in Macbook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carteblanche2, Jan 1, 2011.

1. carteblanche2 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Have installed an 120GB SSD in my Macbook Pro 2010 but have had a couple of problems. Sometimes when you try to enter time machine and or Finder the machine freezes. Also the only way out of this is to hold the power button down and reboot. I have been informed by Apple that there are slight differences between the 2009 and 2010 models. Another odd thing is Skype will not load up automatically on startup, despite making sure this option is ticked. Most other things seem to work. Reinstall original hard drive and all OK.I have tried this with OCZ and Crucial SSDs and get same result. I have also installed the SSDs by cloning and by direct original OS X disk. Any ideas out there.

David

2. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

3. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

4. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that but have done that at least twice. Mine is a 13' MACBOOK PRO

David

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Didn't know they were making 13 foot MacBook Pros. ;)

What kind of SSD is it? I have one with a SandForce controller with very few issues. It's hanged once in about 2 or 3 months now. :) No issues when entering the Finder. I do not use Time Machine so I can't comment on that. I just clone my boot drive every week or two.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

What steps did you go through when installing the OS and migration?

7. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

First used Carbon Copy Clone. Then re-partioned the disk and loaded the original OS X install disk.

8. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought the screen was rather big !!
    Vertex 2 was one disk and other Crucial C300

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Why did you partition it; are you running a second OS? How much free space do you have on it? When you formatted, did you select 'Journal'?

10. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I partitioned the disk (1 partition) because if you go into Disk Utility I understand this wipes all data off the disk, and makes sure you can select 'Journal', hence starting with a clean disk. I have about 85GB spare on my disk.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

My apologies, I for some reason always associate partioning w/ 2 or more partitions. The OCZ and Crucial, as you know, both use a SandForce driver. Is this a common issue on forums dedicated to those companies (if they exist)?

Is your firmware up to date? The SF driver causes one major issue, but that is only related to auto sleep.

12. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I contacted Crucial and they said the firmware I had was fine and should not cause any problems, I think they call it "passing the buck". Same with OCZ. As said earlier I think the problem only comes with the latest 2010 models, not 2009. This is what I have concluded looking at various forums.