SSD in MBP 13" mid-2009 to newer MBP model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahaaja, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ahaaja macrumors member

Hey there!

I currently have a MacBook Pro 13" from mid-2009, which I intend to change for the new MacBook Pro 13" (or 14" of they go with that size) of 2016 once it is released.

However, I would already now like to upgrade my current MBP mid-2009 with SSD instead of HDD.

Since I'm looking at a 1 TB SSD, which is rather expensive, I wonder what the chances are that the SSD I buy for my old MBP will also be compatible and possible to transfer to a newer MBP? Is there any high risk of Apple starting to use different types of SSD, or even disabling the possibility to change disks?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No. New MacBooks use blade style ssd's. You could use an enclosure if you wanted to but it's something else to cart around

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Your 2009 MBP would accommodate an SSD such as the below, based on a 2.5" HDD enclosure:

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5...F8&qid=1452419144&sr=1-3&keywords=samsung+ssd

However, the newer MBP uses a 'blade' SSD, thus the above would not fit. The blade SSD's aren't really deemed user replaceable.

4. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

That's a bummer, since getting a 1 TB installed from Apple is at a horrendous overprice… :(

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Only way is to pay the 'Apple tax' or determine if you really need 1TB...would an external drive work for your use some of the time?

8. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

OK. Thanks for your information.

Regarding the warranty I do wonder if it is really up to EU legislation to require owners to buy products only from Apple. It should not be compliant with legislation against monopoly.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can actually change them, however no one makes a third party drive that fits apples proprietary connector (not since the late 2013 rMBP update) , so to get a different capacity SSD you have to buy one taken from another mac on eBay or similar, they do come up but they are about as expensive as getting the apple upgrade making it a pointless exercise.

10. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

Oh OK. That's another bummer. Seems they've made it really hard for us to actually own our laptops ourselves.

Is there anything indicating a change in that policy, making other connectors possible in future rMBP's?

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If anything the opposite. Apple seem to be moving more towards un-upgradeable systems for the majority of their products.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Unless you have A LOT of money, I wouldn't pay Apple's ridiculous price for a 1tb SSD in the new MacBook.

Buy a lesser-sized SSD.
    Get an external enclosure for your old SATA SSD, and put it into the enclosure.

Keep the stuff you have-to-have on the new internal drive, and use the old SSD/external for extra storage space...

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

OP - there may be a confusion going on here..

Are you talking about the retina 13", or the classic 13" (with DVD drive)?

If classic - I believe any laptop sized SSD will fit..you can pretty much get them anywhere, and ignore the blade comment people made earlier. This is much cheaper than the alternative retina option..

If you mean retina - then it depends on what year. Apple switched to the blade style SSD last year I believe, and they are replaceable but expensive.

So it really depends on what you're referring to..