SSD in MBP 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

OK i read the thread on SSD's and i am now a bit more confused. I am planing on replace the HD with a SSD in the next few months. how long will it last? what are some good brands? do i gain anything? is this TRIM thing in Lion and mountain lion? how do i put the O/S back on with out having to buy it again? thanks for the help.

2. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

There are answers to all the questions you just posed throughout the forums, if you search. However, I would like to say that an SSD will most likely last you the life of the computer, and as for a specific brand or model I would recommend the Samsung 830 series as it has given me nothing but joy. This will give you a major speed boost opening applications and in general tasks. Good luck on your upgrade. :)

3. PAPO macrumors 6502

it should last longer than the laptop, (assuming you don't do a secure erase, or 0 out empty space on a regular basis)

most SSD's have trim like functionality built in now so you don't usually need it enabled at an OS level

you will gain A LOT of speed and performance, you machine will likely boot up in 10% of the time

you re-install the OS from the disc that came with your laptop

as for brands, OCZ are pretty good, cheapest 512GB SSD you can get is the Octane, but if you don't need that much space there are probably better options

4. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok no disk came with my MBP at all. i have a late 2011 13" MBP that came with lion. i have read about internet recovery but i am not sure of it

5. serb macrumors newbie

you can get a data transfer kit and do it that way (crucial sells it with their SSD for 30 bucks extra i believe)

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks i was planing on getting it from them anyways. i am either going to get the 256 or 512 and 8 GB of ram as well. I just clone the drive and then a fresh install?

7. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do i have to tell it what cell to write too does it do it automaticlly

8. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Cat5e macrumors member

From the user perspective, you'll operate the computer in the same way as a platter drive-based computer. You'll see the decreased boot times and increased IOPS of the drive but other than that the experience will be the same.

10. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so i won't notice anything different at all? i may be getting this around the holidays with an 8GB RAM upgrade sometime in the next couple of months.

11. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is it worth the money? does it slowdown like filling using a HDD? example if i use 100gb will it still be fast? because i know with HDD's they tend to slow when a lot of data is on it.

12. PAPO macrumors 6502

platter based HDD's slow down because they fill from the outside in and on the inner portions less data passes under the read/wright/erase head per rotation

SSD's suffer no such affliction

13. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks so once i get a SSD i shouldn't have this issue. I am looking at the Crucial M4 512GB. i am hoping this will make my computer last at least 5 years if not more. do i have to remove the SSD if i need apple support?

14. PAPO macrumors 6502

not usually, but best check with them if you ever need to send it off