SSD in MBP, Speed vs Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jccds, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jccds macrumors newbie

Im'm planning on leaving my factory default HDD 320Gb 5400rpm, so i was thinking on going SSD.

From what i've seen the price of Vertex 2 120gb is about the same of Intel G2 160gb, my question is: in real world usage can you notice the difference between these two (mostly on writes 275 MB/s vs 100 MB/s)?

The doubt is slower but with more space, i just wanted to know if it will be noticiable slower on the intel g2 towards vertex 2.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Will you notice 275 MB/s vs 100 MB/s? Yes.
    Do you need the SSD for storage? No.

Buy a relatively small SSD as boot disk for OS X and apps.
    Replace the optical drive with a caddy plus the old drive.

All the speed you need, and a cheap disk for storage.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

without the cd drive how do u reinstall osx ?

4. Orr3 macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't he have the CD drive left?

He can just replace the HD with the SSD.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

external HDD/SD/DVD via USB or FW

6. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

Crucial is having a huge sale.

Crucial Memory www.crucial.com/ssd SSD BLOWOUT SALE while supplies last. Just
    $1.55 per GB!!!

-- COUPON CODE 200M225US Crucial M225 SSD 256GB $399 (regularly $599)

-- COUPON CODE 100M225US Crucial M225 SSD 128GB $199
    (regularly $299)

www.crucial.com N. America customers only. Quantity limit of 1 per order. Limited to stock on hand. No rain checks or backorders.

7. jccds thread starter macrumors newbie

I think HD+Caddy is the best solution, just a question, where can i find the caddy in Europe?

Thanks for all your help :).

8. mmulin macrumors 6502

If he installs a "caddy" like Optibays "replace-DVD-with-HDD" kit, he won't have an internal DVD drive anymore but two HDDs instead.

9. mmulin macrumors 6502

Just google "optibay" and as far I know the American supplier also ships internationally.

10. foranor macrumors regular

But he would still OWN a dvd-drive and could attach it again to reinstall osx on the SSD later, then reinsert his Datadrive (old HDD).

Or am I getting something wrong here?

11. mmulin macrumors 6502

Nothing wrong with that except it is very bothersome. One needs to lose the notion that a DVD is required for booting the OSX installer. There are several more convenient and faster ways to achieve an OSX install w/o re-opening your MBP for it after the internal DVD has been removed. Such as using the drive in an external case, booting from the network, or simply booting the installer from an external HDD or SDC. Alternatively, he could create a installer partition on one of the internal drives beforehand and always have it with him..

12. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

All you have to do is install the SSD, install OS X, remove the DVD drive, and then install the HDD in the Optibay.

13. RWil85 macrumors 6502

Tmacfan..since you have experience with the HDD/SSD combo w/ the Optibay setup..

I'm guessing you have the OS + APPS on the SSD and use the HDD for storage? do you notice better boot time and less lag time with that setup?

any additional info, comments, suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm leaning towards getting this setup and would like to do it ASAP..thanks!

14. jccds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help.

I'm used to install OS X from other sources like USB pendrive or external dvd-rw (i have a external Liteon DVD burner, Matsushita from my previous MBP was very bad burning dvd's). Optibay should come as Apple option :).

15. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

I haven't gotten my MBP yet; FedEx is delivering it today. I can tell you that putting the OS and the apps on the SSD will give you better boot times and more responsive computing. I'm currently running the Vertex 2 in my netbook and there have been major speed increases even with the terrible hardware that it has.

I have formulated the steps I am going to take once I get my MBP over the course over the last month.

16. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

snow leopard on intel ssd is absolutely fantastic!! so fast and responsive!

Computers should have been this smooth since day 1 :D

I have placed in a a 160GB SSD in the main bay and a 640GB for data storage and bootcamp in a optibay.:apple:

all this is a small 13" :apple: