Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sejanus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
hi guys

I'm a photographer. 90% of the use of my laptop is for using aperture at wedding receptions, where I do a bit of a slideshow of the photos I took so far in the wedding that day.

Every second counts - I usually am rushing like crazy to get it going in time.

I was thinking of getting a new i7 mbp but saw on anandtech the aperture benchmark is not that huge a difference.

My current laptop is a unibody mbp, the 17" core 2 duo 2.66ghz with 4gb ram and a 500gb 7200rpm drive and matte display.

Do you think I'd be better buying the new laptop, or just buying a 256gb ssd to put in my current laptop?

cheers

Gav

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Definitely go SSD and you will see a bigger speed boost. Anand says it's probably not worth it if you have last year's model. As for a SSD, with lack of TRIM in OSX, only Intel and Sandforce drives will perform well over time in OSX so I suggest one of them.

sejanus

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
thanks. i think the owc mercury drives (not sure if they are rebranded) also don't slow down over time

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
If I had to choose, definitely the i7 mbp. Then I would think about getting an SSD later on it.

I had an intel ssd on the previous gen mbp and this gen mbp so from my experience alone, I would rather have the i7 mbp with a 7200rpm 500gb than an old mbp with an ssd.

YES the i7s are THAT impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.