SSD in optibay and HDD Spin down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by micromash, Sep 15, 2011.

1. micromash macrumors newbie

Hello to all,

I'm new in this forum so if i didn't post the thread at the correct category please forgive me.

So I'm having an issue with my macbook pro (mid 2009 unibody).

A week ago i changed the optical drive with an optibay (a Chinese one) put a Ssd on it and also changed the basic toshiba HDD with a WD scorpio black 750gb.
    For vibration and stability reasons i decided to put the ssd in the Optibay and the new HDD i bought in the standard hard disk slot. The Ssd is of course my boot drive with all my applications and os x in it. The WD is the one where i moved the whole home folder into as the Ssd doesn't have enough space. (its an Intel 320 series 160gb).
    The speed boost is amazing, but there is something that is annoying me.
    The WD drive is not spinning down almost at all.
    I tried all the tricks i found in forums here and there, like energy saver commands and Sudo commands in the terminal, but the problem remains.
    I dont know whether the problem exists because i moved the whole home folder in the Hdd, so it needs to be constantly accessed, or that shouldn't play any role? I ask that because i've noticed that when sometimes i read an article on the web and it takes some time then the disk spins down but the moment i decide to browse to another page in spins up again...

Would, moving the home folder back in the SSD boot drive and just keep the Download, Documents, Itunes, Photos, Videos, etc folders on the HDD for use just when needed make a difference? Has anyone tried something like this?

sorry for the long article but this constant spinning sound any time i want to move through pages when i'm on the web just gets on my nerves....

Cheers

2. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

i have an ssd in the optical bay and a samsung 1 tb 5400 rpm in the hd spot.

only things i did were: trim enabler, terminal to switch sleep mode, and left the energy saver spin down hard drives when possible preference selected

i don't hear the drive or feel any vibration (i did note some vibration with the factory drive) and i have the home folder on the hdd as you described. whether or not it spins down i don't know. i never feel it, hear it, or notice it impact my battery so i just let it do it's thing.

not meaning to discount your worries but if you stress the hd spinning you should have just saved up for a larger ssd. depending upon what you're doing the home folder will see pretty steady use; browser caches, itunes, document access, spotlight use,,