SSD in Optibay. OS install method?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jungk704, Jun 6, 2010.

1. jungk704 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

First of all, I've searched the forums, and read all the threads I could find about installing SSDs/Optibay (even including the crazy long 'optibay alternative' thread). =]

So I'm planning on getting the base MBP 13in 2010 soon and replacing the stock harddrive with a 640gb WD scorpio blue hard drive for data and replacing the superdrive with the optibay caddy from newmodeus and a intel x25 m 80gb SSD as a boot drive.

I'm putting the SSD in the optibay caddy because there is no speed difference from putting the SDD in the main HD slot, and the HD will benefit by the SMS and sound reduction due to padding in the main HD slot. Hibernation is not an issue because I plan to disable it anyway.

Because of the limited space in the SSD, I was thinking of installing Windows 7 through boot camp on a 160gb-ish partition on the hard drive instead of the SSD.

Whats the best way to install all of this?
    I don't think I came across something exactly like this in my hours of searching... if I did.... I guess I forgot due to the semi-permanent caffeine high/sleep deprivation I was experiencing during exam week when I looked all of this up.

Obviously, I can't install both HD and optibay/SSD then install OS X and windows 7 because I won't have a superdrive, and I've read windows 7 doesn't like to be installed through a external drive.

After thinking about it for a bit, I think this might work, but I rather have some opinions incase my logic is flawed.
    1. Install SSD in main HD bay and install OSX
    2. Take out SSD and install WD HD and install windows 7 on a 160gb partition.
    3. Install optibay and SSD then move home folder to HD.
    4. Go back and install bootcamp drivers and tidy things up.

Am I missing some steps or are there shorter ways?
    The steps mentioned above require taking apart the MBP 3 times...

2. jungk704 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. percival504 macrumors regular

Try this

1. Before taking anything apart, put the X25-M in external enclosure (USB or Firewire will do). Put your install disk in and try to install onto the X25-M (just select the X25-M at the install screen that asks you to select a destination). This may not work - sometimes the install disk that came with the computer will only install OS X onto a disk located in the computer.

If Step 1 won't work: Install Windows 7. Then install the X25-M. Then, and I have done this many, many times, so I know it is possible. Put a copy of the install disc on any of (1) a USB thumb drive or (2) a hard drive in a USB, Firewire or eSata enclosure. After you press the start-up button, hold down the option key. You will be presented with boot choices (or a boot choice), one of which will be the USB thumb drive/enclosure with the OS X copy, choose it and Install as usual. It may take a little while for the boot choice(s) to show up.

2. After you're done with step 1, and before taking your computer apart, install Windows 7.

3. After Step 1 and 2, take the DVD drive out and put the X25-M in the OptiBay and then the Optibay in the MacBook Pro. Voila!

4. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Am I missing something? These suggested install schemes seem way-too complex. Just get an external box/interface for your superdrive, and install from that. The MCE optibay I had came with the external box as well. Worked like a charm.

5. kjaxplicit24 macrumors regular

Just install SSD in the regualr HD spot first. Install the OS, then switch it to the optibay position.

Nevermind...didn't read your whole situation. Oops

6. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

it's as hard as installing OS and then opening dual boot assistant to install windows 7 on the other drive.

7. jungk704 thread starter macrumors newbie

percival504, Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try that and I'll post my results in the next week or so. The SSD is coming in the mail now.

diablo2112, does the external enclosure for the optical drive work for installing Windows 7? I've heard Windows 7 doesn't like to be installed through a USB optical drive.