SSD in Optibay Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newfie, Sep 16, 2012.

1. newfie macrumors newbie

Hi guys, have a small issue. Replaced my HDD with an SSD in my 2012 13" last week and installed Lion on the SSD with no issues for a few days. Today I moved the SSD to the Optibay with the adapter and put the HDD back in the drive bay, stuck my superdrive in an external. For some reason I can't now boot from the SSD, I can see it once I boot from the HDD, I can repair permissions on it and everything seems copestetic in system profiler, even TRIM stays enabled. I set it as my boot drive in sys prefs, reboot, little wheel, null symbol and boots to the HDD. Before I take my bottom off again and swap placement of the drives does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Why not use the SSD in the main bay and put the HDD (or storage drive) in the optibay?

3. newfie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I intended to do but from reading the forums here i thought there was no negative to putting the SSD in the optibay since both are SATA III, read that the spinner is better shock insulated in its proper home. Now swapping back is the plan once I get the motivation to take it apart again

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would just try that and see if it gives you the same issue.

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i would stick with the ssd in the intended harddrive spot. i like to think of an optibay hdd as an external harddrive tapped to the inside of the machine

6. newfie thread starter macrumors newbie

only thing is I didn't want to lose the sudden motion sensor

----------

it's a definite oddity, I can't even boot from the repair partition on the ssd

7. newfie thread starter macrumors newbie

So, pulled the case off again and swapped the drive locations, boots from the SSD properly now. Still don't know why it didn't like booting from the OptiBay.

Thanks

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Glad you got it resolved. :) Not sure either, I would just always put your "main drive" in the main bay.

9. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i think the issue has been resolved since the 2010 mbps speed wise, but I feel like the optical bay would be a less reliable sata connection

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Well of course, I'm not sure in technical terms too but my OCD requires the main drive to be in the main bay and the secondary drive in the optibay.

11. newfie thread starter macrumors newbie

system profiler shows the same controller for the two SATA connections so wasn't worried about the reliability or speed, just seemed that the SMS and general 'floating' nature of the main bay would be better for the spinner. And even seemed like it wanted to boot, just couldn't make it go.

12. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i see the logic. im not sure why it wouldnt work to be honest. either way, better safe than sorry and just keep the boot drive in the main bay