ssd in optical bay of Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Olegphoto, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Olegphoto macrumors member

Hello
    Im buying a ssd sata 3.5"
    Do I need any accesory to fit in the lower optical bay of my mac pro(2010)?
    Thanks

2. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

Not really. Just plug it in and throw it in the optical bay. Mine isn't attached in any way. It doesn't really matter since it has no moving parts. But I guess you could buy a 5,25" to 3,5" bracket for it if you want it to be attached firmly.

3. Olegphoto thread starter macrumors member

Ok
    and how I plug it in the optical bay, do I need any adapter to plug it in? or the stata 3.5 is the right conection?
    Thanks
    Oleg

4. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

youll find the connectors that are in there are perfectly fine. just plug in and play!

5. j2048b macrumors 6502a

they also carry a slidder for ssd's, as i have two of them! they actually slide onto the rail and connect on the sides!

nice accessory!

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

Plug into what? Don't you need to run a cable to one of the SATA jacks on the motherboard?

7. NoManIsland macrumors regular

The 2010 MP has SATA optical drive connections, and the OP is adding one drive to an empty bay, hence the connections are already there. This is as opposed to the 2008 for instance, in which the optical connections were ATAPI, so you needed to route a cable from the ODD SATA ports on the motherboard as you mentioned.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

Thanks, I (obviously) did not know this. This would be nice to have on my tired old 1,1. As it is, adding a SATA drive to the ODD bay is too much of a hassle (not too mention risky for someone with fat fingers like me). I think when and if I add an ssd to this machine it will be external, hooked up to my eSATA card (so long as it is bootable, as the rumor has it).

9. steffi macrumors 6502a

It's pretty simple to plug in an SSD into the Optical Bay. I've got one in mine just hanging there right now. Really not much trouble at all.

10. MFDoom macrumors member

I agree. It's so easy, a Caveman can do it :D

11. akadmon macrumors 68010

Can you point me to an installation guide? As I understand it, on a MP 1,1 it is necessary to remove the fan assembly, which can get tricky.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can see some good tips and pics here, even though this is for routing the SATA cables to the back. As i understand it, it's the same procedure, just running them up the front into the optibay.

http://www.newertech.com/downloads/nwtmpqxe32.pdf

-Kevin

13. steffi macrumors 6502a

I believe if you fire up iTunes and subscribe to the OWC Install Series video podcast you can find a video tutorial for the same product.

Mac Pro 2009 eSata Extender Cable Install