SSD in primary bay or optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigcat, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bigcat macrumors 6502

I think this has been discussed but can't find it. In a SSD+HDD setup, should I put the SSD in the primary bay or in the optibay (replacing the superdrive). I believe there is a setup that has issues with sleep or motion sensor whatever, but I can't recall what the preferred setup is.

2. bigcat thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind. Found answers here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9125966&postcount=14

3. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

does slapping a hard drive in your optibay slot void your warranty?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it depends really, on how fussy the vendor is. technically it wont void the warranty unless you do some viewable damage, such as break a cable or snap something.

the SMS comes into play doesnt it? more padding in the HDD bay, id rather the HDD in there.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Put the SSD in the normal bay (not the optibay drive)
    There have been a few problems with people using SSDs in Their main drive slot

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

What sort of problems were they?

By the way, I was searching for optibay, when I found a site that sold it. They charge $99 for the optibay itself and some pretty awful prices for the HDD and bits&bobs, which is ridiculous. I checked Ebay - $20 or less.

7. dharpo32 macrumors newbie

dharpo32

Ssd

The SSD should be in the primary bay due to the heat the logic board builds while running. Yes, the SSD is much cooler in operation than a standard spinning SATA drive but its proximity to the logic board can affect its performance. Keep it as far away as possible

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this is not true, the logic board does not get hot enough to even CLOSE effect the ssd,

the ssd SHOULD not be run in the main slot, it has SMS enabled, while it can be disabled it will offer your hdd in the optibay with no protection, so it makes no sense to run it in the main drive bay.

heat from a logic board does not effect a ssd's performance,

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Isn't it true that the only real issue with the SSD in the Optibay slot is that it will not "hibernate" when the battery runs out? I can live with that, if so.