Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I think this has been discussed but can't find it. In a SSD+HDD setup, should I put the SSD in the primary bay or in the optibay (replacing the superdrive). I believe there is a setup that has issues with sleep or motion sensor whatever, but I can't recall what the preferred setup is.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
does slapping a hard drive in your optibay slot void your warranty?
it depends really, on how fussy the vendor is. technically it wont void the warranty unless you do some viewable damage, such as break a cable or snap something.

the SMS comes into play doesnt it? more padding in the HDD bay, id rather the HDD in there.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Put the SSD in the normal bay (not the optibay drive)
There have been a few problems with people using SSDs in Their main drive slot

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Put the SSD in the normal bay (not the optibay drive)
There have been a few problems with people using SSDs in Their main drive slot

What sort of problems were they?

By the way, I was searching for optibay, when I found a site that sold it. They charge $99 for the optibay itself and some pretty awful prices for the HDD and bits&bobs, which is ridiculous. I checked Ebay - $20 or less.

dharpo32

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ssd

The SSD should be in the primary bay due to the heat the logic board builds while running. Yes, the SSD is much cooler in operation than a standard spinning SATA drive but its proximity to the logic board can affect its performance. Keep it as far away as possible

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
The SSD should be in the primary bay due to the heat the logic board builds while running. Yes, the SSD is much cooler in operation than a standard spinning SATA drive but its proximity to the logic board can affect its performance. Keep it as far away as possible

this is not true, the logic board does not get hot enough to even CLOSE effect the ssd,

the ssd SHOULD not be run in the main slot, it has SMS enabled, while it can be disabled it will offer your hdd in the optibay with no protection, so it makes no sense to run it in the main drive bay.

heat from a logic board does not effect a ssd's performance,

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Isn't it true that the only real issue with the SSD in the Optibay slot is that it will not "hibernate" when the battery runs out? I can live with that, if so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.